All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dipping my toes without purchasing PC3000
PostPosted: August 5th, 2020, 5:49 

Hello,

I've got a drive that's failed which has data on it I would love to have back. I've had some quotes (from some of you on here) and to be frank, I just cannot afford the costs (£470+) The data isn't worth that much to me.

The drive is an old Hitachi HDT725025VLAT80 250GB IDE which is clicking, I (stupidly) opened it up and see a bit of dust on it, tried to remove said dust with a camera lens air pump and it spat more dust onto the platter :roll:

Now I reckon I could build a DIY laminar flow cab from parts I have lying about (high powered duct fans, kitchen grade stainless steel sheet) will need to buy a filter though.

I know I need a donor drive, head comb tools and possibly platter removal tools in order to decontaminate the hard drive and replace the heads. I would try buy used tools to reduce costs.

What I was wondering is if i could perform the head swap then could I send to someone with PC3000 to try recovering the data? Obviously at my own risk, if the drive won't work due to my work then we could leave it at that.

I would then sell all the equipment I have and hope to recoup as much investment as possible, or alternatively try and repair a few drives for friends to recoup my investment.

Basically I don't want to get into the business, but realise without something like PC3000/MRT Labs I'm very limited on what I can do. Does anyone offer a service where you can send drives to them to be used with DR hardware?

Try not to shoot me down too much if possible, I'm not trying to belittle how difficult/stressful this line of work can be. I'm just looking to reduce my costs by doing as much of the work as possible.

Post subject: Re: Dipping my toes without purchasing PC3000
PostPosted: August 5th, 2020, 6:49 

OK, let's say that you manage to build a laminar flow bench with material lying around (which, no offense, but I doubt you can) and that costs less than 450 quid. (by the way, the HEPA filters are not cheap).
Let's also say that you manage to find used head comb tools and platter removal tools for a very low price.
And let's say you find someone with PC3K who agrees to work with your drive for a nominal fee.

You think that you will attempt to swap heads without practice and you will make it on your first try? You will need donor drives, several, and a lot of patience to make it right. Then, you will need to solve the contamination problem. How do you plan on decontaminating the drive?
It's not as simple as you think. Your main problem is lack of experience and know-how, then everything else.

To me, 470 quid is a bargain for this job.
Sorry to say and I know you'd want to hear otherwise, but...

PostPosted: August 5th, 2020, 12:47 

Woah there, thanks for the hostile response.

I understand I'm a complete beginner and you must get a lot of people coming on here looking for a quick and easy solution. I apologise for my lack of knowledge of DR.

I've been watching Scott Moulton's youtube videos/listening to his podcasts, reading this forum and doing as much research as I can dedicate time to, to see if I can do a semi DIY repair as the costs are a lot for me. I know a lot of people in the industry/on this forum were once like me and everyone starts somewhere. I know I don't have the knowledge and experience to solve all of the problems I face but that's why I'll take my time and only try things when I'm confident.

I once got told I wouldn't be able to rewire and map my own car and i did that better than some "pro" shops did because I took my time, researched and practiced.

I wouldn't mind DR as a hobby but there's no way I could buy PC3000 for a hobby and from what I'm reading other DR hardware/software can't quite match its abilities.

PostPosted: August 5th, 2020, 17:00 

Was it £474 inc VAT that you were quoted by any chance? :-)

If so, then I guess it was us.

PM me and I’ll see what I can do. I’d rather cut a deal than see someone destroy their data with inevitably doomed DIY.

New!! HDD-PCB.COM for all your PCB and donor HDD requirements!

PostPosted: August 5th, 2020, 19:17 

Quote:
I've been watching Scott Moulton's youtube videos/listening to his podcasts

Since this is posted in the Lounge, I am going to go to a place I should not go, but am anyway. No offense is meant towards the original poster. This is just an observation.

How come every time I see someone reference Scott Moulton's work, they think they know something worthwhile, but yet they are basically still totally clueless?

PostPosted: August 5th, 2020, 21:27 

UnclePatches,
A big misconception. Waste time on a single disc. It will take a couple of years quite easily just to figure it out. Dozens of rabbits are needed for bites. All the right things to do, the costs will be at least 10 times more than you plan. And then no one will buy it. This is a very small market. The probability of killing the disk completely is very high. With experience, microcode digging and the right utilities, nothing a professional needs at all is required.
There are also alternatives.
For example, send a disc to us in Russia, and they will make it ~ $ 150 for you. We have a completely different standard of living and prices.

PostPosted: August 8th, 2020, 3:03 

You reckon my response was hostile? Sorry about that. I didn't know you've watched many YouTube videos. If I'd known, I'd be more kind.

PostPosted: August 11th, 2020, 6:54 

I think you'll all be glad to know I've since decided the DIY route isn't worth the risk and the hard drive is on its way to PC Image.

Thank you all for your comments :D glad we all had fun

PostPosted: August 11th, 2020, 8:43 

Now, that's a bright decision.

PostPosted: August 14th, 2020, 7:31 

PC Image recovered the data and its on its way back to me now :D

Thanks Sean and Kevin!