Switch to full style
General discussions, chit-chat
Post a reply

Just saying... miss those old days...

May 24th, 2021, 4:28

Just saying...

miss those old days... I believe many agrees with me here...

:smokers:

Re: Just saying... miss those old days...

May 24th, 2021, 8:11

You mean when we lived in caves?

May 24th, 2021, 11:23

You mean before Covid 19 ?

May 24th, 2021, 22:10

before mobile phones, where your day could drastically change any second...

Before:
go to work, and work
any emergency, your wife etc would call, otherwise leave you alone.
Go home, relax. maybe get a phone call to meet with friends.
eat
relax
go to bed.

After:

6am : email notification on phone
6:05am text message "did you see my email yet?"
6:10am text message "heads up, fred sent you an email, don't worry, I sorted it"
6:15am: alarm goes off to get up
6:16am: wife texts from the bathroom, "have you seen my curler?"
6:16am: "nevermind, found it"
6:18am: twitter notification "Crypto markets crashing"
6:18 am: FB notification, family member feeling like a butterfly in spring, whatever the hell that means
7:00am : John texts, "catch up after work?
7:10am customer texts "can I pickup my drive today, thanks, Mike. (have 3 Mikes as customers, and how the hell did Mike get my personal cell?
7:15am wife texts "did you put the bins out
7:20am oldest kid texts "dad, have you seen my keys"
7:20am "nevermind, found them"
7:21am " image from wife "look at the dog, sound asleep on your pillow"
|
|
100 more entries
|
|
V
6pm text "what time you be home? (I get home the same time every day!)

etc, ad finitum...

May 25th, 2021, 3:07

heheh

actually none of the above..

Its the hddguru forum, when we used to post and interact with real subject materials..
Big. diff. between NOW and 1 or 2 years back...

:drink:

May 25th, 2021, 9:06

Ok, yes I can see that from your point of view, a serious DR Pro. But I do see you guys helping each other out a lot still. Maybe just a long stretch of topics not quite interesting to you. Lets hope something comes along soon!

For myself I've seen some very good and interesting topics that started out a fairly random query, and went right down the rabbit hole, with quite a fun journey. The car radio hack and the current BT speaker hack for example.

May 25th, 2021, 12:02

And now most if not ALL HDD/SSD manufacturers are locking down diag interfaces.

Well done all concerned

May 25th, 2021, 14:16

The world has changed. The three super powers are rattling their sabres. Ransomware is on the rise. Storage manufacturers are finally doing the right thing by locking down their firmware. It should have happened decades ago.

May 25th, 2021, 14:21

HaQue wrote:Ok, yes I can see that from your point of view, a serious DR Pro. But I do see you guys helping each other out a lot still. Maybe just a long stretch of topics not quite interesting to you. Lets hope something comes along soon!

For myself I've seen some very good and interesting topics that started out a fairly random query, and went right down the rabbit hole, with quite a fun journey. The car radio hack and the current BT speaker hack for example.

The head unit thread motivated me to write a tool for parsing file systems. Ironically, when I said that my code could be useful in parsing proprietary DVR file systems, I was thinking about einstein9's earlier DVR thread which involved an obfuscated FAT32 FS.

May 26th, 2021, 7:27

fzabkar wrote:
HaQue wrote:Ok, yes I can see that from your point of view, a serious DR Pro. But I do see you guys helping each other out a lot still. Maybe just a long stretch of topics not quite interesting to you. Lets hope something comes along soon!

The head unit thread motivated me to write a tool for parsing file systems. Ironically, when I said that my code could be useful in parsing proprietary DVR file systems, I was thinking about einstein9's earlier DVR thread which involved an obfuscated FAT32 FS.

which one? I usually keep odd cases as training material & for the research too

May 26th, 2021, 7:45

likely https://forum.hddguru.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38916

May 27th, 2021, 4:48

HaQue wrote:likely https://forum.hddguru.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38916

humm, about this case,

drive imaged with bads
Humax encrypts its recording, and the only way to decrypt is by fixing the unit and the drive too & plugging it to PC via USB

No other way to extract, it has to be within the unit.
:wink:

FYI, WD (very old external drives, i think 160gb) were using the same tech. i still have the adapter, without the adapter NO WAY

June 3rd, 2021, 5:00

@ HaQue , fzabkar

I think by now you should know why?

June 3rd, 2021, 14:18

einstein9 wrote:@ HaQue , fzabkar

I think by now you should know why?

Why do have to talk in riddles?
Post a reply