All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
 Post subject: Re: HDDSuperClone - A new Linux hard drive cloning/imaging t
PostPosted: June 21st, 2022, 9:32 

maximus wrote:
Just an FYI to everyone, I have been thinking heavily about making HDDSuperClone open source. This is mostly because I want to drop support for it. Right now it doesn’t work with the latest versions of Linux, and I just don’t have the time or desire to deal with that. And I also just spent hours working on firewall rules to try to stop the damn Russians from constantly trying to hack my licensing server causing it to lock up and need to reboot regularly. It doesn’t make that much money, and I just don’t have the time for it anymore. I have other things I should be spending my time on. More thoughts about this to come...

First of all I would like to thank your for your great software!

Regarding firewall you can get the latest RIPE GeoLocation database from https://ftp.ripe.net/ripe/stats/delegat ... ncc-latest and update firewall rules to block all hostile countries, you will not lose too much :wink:

It would be a huge loss if you give up HDDSuperClone support. You have already spent a lot of time to create very useful software competing with the largest DR products. You shouldn't lose this capital for free making it OpenSource. I'm affraid no one will have sufficient knowledge, attitude and free time to develop HDDSuperClone as OpenSource instead of you. When you open the sorce there is a good chance that your ideas in HDDSuperClone will be used by other DR companies and sold by them as a "new feature" and your will not get any cent from it.

LiveUSB ISO Linux distribution compatible with HDDSuperClone may be the only software distribution channel. You'll be sure that every change to a single line of code will work the same way for all your customers, so you won't have to spend time researching strange software behavior in one client and "chasing a rabbit" after a new Linux kernel is released. You will have time to focus on HDDSuperClone development (and earnimg the money from it :) )

When it comes to software activation, the license server is not the most cost-effective solution for a single developer. You can sell the license as an activation code generated semi-automatically or even offline. Activation can be be tied to PC hardware or pendrive serial number like DMDE did it - and it is a great idea. Activation code can be saved in text file on pendrive with LiveUSB, as well as other tools like DMDE or R-Studio in Linux packages accessible within LiveUSB system. Of course, there is a risk that someone will make a crack for your software, but companies that operate in the DR business won't risk installing crack with a surprise like Trojan horse when dealing with customer data. Furthermore, it's better to sell less software licenses due to pirated versions then giving your whole hard work for free!

Don't give up!

PostPosted: June 21st, 2022, 15:20 

Whick Linux version has issues, since 20.04 or 22.04?

PostPosted: June 21st, 2022, 21:31 

I would like to add that this isn’t about money. It is about the amount of time required to keep up with even minimal support. Unless there was some magic way I could make enough money from it to quit my full time job (not going to happen), then I must focus on my full time job, and my life outside of that. Dealing with the software is all is my spare time. All the little things add up. Keeping up with making it work on new Linux kernels (major changes are a pain, and I struggle to understand what needs to be done unless I can find help online, many hours and days of searching and work). Keeping the website functional (it sucked when Google when to shit and I had to completely redo the site, lots of time spent on that). Keeping up with bugs has also sometimes been a challenge, but I think that I have been on top of that and there should not be any major bugs.

Quote:
I can see how you'd want an online licensing server, but this type of trouble, well all server side trouble made me decide against it. Simple licensing an take for granted people will abuse it. I try to avoid software that needs a server to connect to for it to work, gets more difficult every day.

The licensing server is only for purchase, and connects with PayPal to verify purchase, and then emails the license. And don’t get me going on PayPal automation issues that have caused me much troubleshooting time for issues on their end. Activation is totally separate and has a much more robust and easy way. My method for activation is outside the box thinking, and is something I am proud of enough that some others may find useful from the source code.

PostPosted: June 21st, 2022, 21:34 

grevan wrote:
Whick Linux version has issues, since 20.04 or 22.04?

22.04 has major changes with the virtual driver that I am not sure I can overcome, and don't plan on spending the time trying. There is also something with the USB library even with the free version, for which I am not sure how easy or hard to resolve, and also don't feel like spending the time on.

PostPosted: June 21st, 2022, 21:39 

And another thing about time, the LiveCD is still based on Ubuntu 18.04. I want to get it updated to 20.04, but everything takes time... if only I had a time machine to get things done without taking up all of my time...

PostPosted: June 21st, 2022, 22:01 

And yet another thing about time. If I do go through with making it open source, it will take me some time to clean things up to be able to post the open source code. More damn time... but that will be closer to the final time needed to be spent.

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2022, 3:00 

maximus, I was never happy that any of the software I wrote was ever finished to my satisfaction. You have an excellent product you (or anyone else technical) would like to use but it's not designed for end user resale.

My 2 cents FWIW.
The livecd is a controlled environment. Most end users aren't going to be running linux to do an independent install anyway.
The free version is too feature rich, a simple point and shoot phase 1&2 with default timing settings is usually more than ample for most drives. More settings, more problems - End users are generally clueless.
No interactive support on free versions, there are enough internet sites with people willing to help to distribute support load.
Trial (time limited) version -Far too much hassle for 20USD, users wanting extra features should just buy the pro version. (which I would reduce in price to the same as the retail recovery software market)
No one wants dongles and they're a pain as a developer - Just imagine trying to ship world wide.
The website is fine for the technical community but not so much for first time linux users who have no clue what to do when dropped at the desktop.

I hope you stick with it - it would be a shame to see the project fall away.

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2022, 20:49 

I have been thinking heavily about making it open source, and now have made the first commitment step. I have placed a free license on the purchase page of the website and disabled the purchase pages. Enjoy the free license, and feel free to donate. The source code will come in time, when I have the time to clean it up a bit and remove any sensitive info.

PostPosted: July 24th, 2022, 6:17 

This is very kind gesture towards the data recovery community.
Thank you!

PostPosted: July 24th, 2022, 9:33 

maximus wrote:
I have been thinking heavily about making it open source, and now have made the first commitment step. I have placed a free license on the purchase page of the website and disabled the purchase pages. Enjoy the free license, and feel free to donate. The source code will come in time, when I have the time to clean it up a bit and remove any sensitive info.

From all HDDGURU community members Thanks a ton.
We wish you all the best in your endeavour . Hope making hddsuperclone free , will not affect you in any way including but non limited to commercial view.

PostPosted: July 24th, 2022, 11:01 

Well, I can see how people are all happy the peppy for not having to pay, but personally I regard this sad news.

PostPosted: July 24th, 2022, 13:20 

Arch Stanton wrote:
Well, I can see how people are all happy the peppy for not having to pay, but personally I regard this sad news.

Likewise, although it is hoped that others will continue to develop the product once it becomes open source.

PostPosted: July 25th, 2022, 21:47 

I can only hope that someone will in some way continue with the project. I am still working on cleaning up the source, but I am leaving as much as possible in addition to the main program code. While all account information will be removed, it will include all of the licensing code, including the PayPal licensing server code, so that someone could see how that was done (probably the only C PayPal IPN code publicly available, as I made it from scratch). It will also include the scripts for remastering an Ubuntu live CD, which could be helpful to some, as that is not an easy task. I will release this source on my website and Google Drive. I had an idea to post source on GitHub, but I think it would be too much work to clean it up enough for that. I think I will just post the source code my way and let anyone do what they want with it.

Also, I just updated all of the downloads (including the live CD) to have full pro version features unlocked without needing a license. There is no turning back now, I made it free free.

PostPosted: July 27th, 2022, 19:37 

This is very sad.
No one has the knowledge, coding skills and mindset to continue this.
I'm a proud full licensed user, would buy the software again even though I own all other hardware/software solutions on the market.

Yes, many people will be happy that the tool is free and open source, but this is how good ideas die and how jackasses change the layout and turn this into a comercial product...

Anyways, I'm looking forward to take a look at the licensing code :)

PostPosted: July 31st, 2022, 22:03 

Source code is now available in the hddsuperclone website downloads area. Enjoy.

PostPosted: August 1st, 2022, 0:14 

Many thanks.

PostPosted: August 14th, 2022, 10:24 

Thanks a lot for making it Open-Source!
I have uploaded it to GitHub now, ported it to Ubuntu 21.10, it is available now on:
https://github.com/thesourcerer8/hddsuperclone

HDDSuperClone and HDDScViewer compile and run. I succeeded to revive HDDSuperTool again, since I believe that a GUI-less commandline tool is valuable for automation. The Kernel driver is ported to Linux 5.15 now. I haven't investigated the HDDLiveCD yet. I am planning to provide x64, ARM (e.g. Raspberry-Pi) and perhaps RISC-V binaries.

To all previous HDDSuper* users: Please let me know what you need from it, please test it, and let me know what you think about it.
Any issues you find in the Github version are likely my fault, please report them on Github or contact me directly.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12