Tools for hard drive diagnostics, repair, and data recovery
Post a reply

Massive VHD Repair -Is it technically possible

June 8th, 2024, 7:51

I have got a VHD repair job ,affected file is not getting mounted & is 1TB in size ,extracted data might be extremely large. If file can be repaired without extraction that will be best option ( must get mounted again)
I haven't done such enormous work before & don't know what kind of computing power ,memory & software needed .
Can someone guide me whether its possible on normal desktop level or need highly advanced setup.
Thank you

Re: Massive VHD Repair -Is it technically possible

June 8th, 2024, 8:07

i guess no special hw is required, the process depends on the nature and extent of the corruption. It is gonna be though if you have no insight. If it is simple VHD, the task reduces to a logical recovery, if it is VHDX or has snapshots, you will get some difficulties.

June 8th, 2024, 13:32

Can you start by opening the VHD in DMDE and showing us DMDE's Partitions tab?

https://dmde.com/

Is 7Zip able to open the VHD?

June 8th, 2024, 20:54

pepe wrote:i guess no special hw is required, the process depends on the nature and extent of the corruption. It is gonna be though if you have no insight. If it is simple VHD, the task reduces to a logical recovery, if it is VHDX or has snapshots, you will get some difficulties.

Thanks pepe for quick responding
I have asked customer to give more details as you have mentioned & send physical file as well.

June 8th, 2024, 20:57

fzabkar wrote:Can you start by opening the VHD in DMDE and showing us DMDE's Partitions tab?

https://dmde.com/

Is 7Zip able to open the VHD?

Many thanks fzabkar
I have Professional license of dmde ,I will open file using both dmde & 7zip and update.
My concern is whether my desktop will be able to open this file I will save first few mb using dmde.

June 9th, 2024, 2:31

MISU wrote:I have got a VHD repair job ,affected file is not getting mounted & is 1TB in size ,extracted data might be extremely large. If file can be repaired without extraction that will be best option ( must get mounted again)
I haven't done such enormous work before & don't know what kind of computing power ,memory & software needed .
Can someone guide me whether its possible on normal desktop level or need highly advanced setup.
Thank you

What is the OS of the VHD?

June 9th, 2024, 13:26

einstein9 wrote:
MISU wrote:I have got a VHD repair job ,affected file is not getting mounted & is 1TB in size ,extracted data might be extremely large. If file can be repaired without extraction that will be best option ( must get mounted again)
Thank you

Thanks einstein9
This VHD is on Hyper-V of windows 2012 R2.(Raid 5 server)

June 10th, 2024, 1:42

MISU wrote:
einstein9 wrote:
Thank you

Thanks einstein9

Win 2012 easier to fix - chk ur PM

June 10th, 2024, 6:43

einstein9 wrote:
MISU wrote:
einstein9 wrote:
Thank you

Thanks einstein9

Win 2012 easier to fix - chk ur PM

Thank you einstein9 ,
I am eager to try out solutions you have suggested. I will post outcome .
Thank you. :good:
Post a reply