All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: meaning of scan error codes (unc etc.)
PostPosted: April 22nd, 2007, 16:15 

I have a drive that gets a few unc errors and lists the error lba in the bottom right corner.

But I'm curious, what is an unc error? Can't find the meaning of the time, unc, abrt, idnf, amnf, tonf, and bbk. Is this documented anywhere?

Are all of these equally bad?

Can I run scan with remap and use arrow keys to go to the bad areas and just fix these few errors?

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 22nd, 2007, 17:58 

(AMNF) Data Address Mark Not Found: During the read sector command, a data address mark was not found after finding the correct ID field for the requested sector (usually a media error or read instability).

(TONF) Track 0 Not Found: Track 0 was not found during drive recalibration.

(ABRT) Aborted Command: The requested command was aborted due to a device status error.

(IDNF) ID Not Found: The required cylinder, head, and sector could not be found, or an ECC error occurred in the ID field.

(UNC) Uncorrectable Data: An ECC error in the data field could not be corrected (a media error or read instability).

(BBK) Bad Mark Block: A bad sector mark was found in the ID field of the sector or an Interface CRC error occurred.

Taken from: http://www.deepspar.com/pdf/DeepSparDis ... paper3.pdf

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 23rd, 2007, 16:10 

Thanks, interesting paper.

One other question that it didn't answer, is there a way to see the current set of remapped sectors?

I was able to remap the two unc's I had and perhaps my drive will work ok now.

I had a strange problem. Somehow while doing only a read of the drive (under windows 2k) it wiped out the signature at the end of the mbr, but NOT the partition table. It thought the device was no longer valid. But I used a disk editor (winhex) to repair those 2 bytes and everything came back up. This is the second time this has happened on that drive. Maybe the two unc's had something to do with it, but I can't see how.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 24th, 2007, 2:56 

u can view GLIST to chk remapped sector or u can view SMART reallocated sector count to see how many sectors were remapped .

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 24th, 2007, 20:53 

rameez wrote:
u can view GLIST to chk remapped sector or u can view SMART reallocated sector count to see how many sectors were remapped .

Does MHDD have a command to read the GLIST?

I see the command SMART, and it's subcommands. When I choose "smart att" I get attributes, with 3 data columns,

Val, Worst, and Raw.

Can someone explain these 3 numbers?

thanks