All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fujitsu MAM3367MC Low-level format, big problem
PostPosted: June 25th, 2008, 2:20 

Hi,

I bought a used Fujitsu MAM3367MC (Compaq model BF03665223) 36.4GB 15000RPM Ultra160 SCSI hard drive :D . The thing is that when I tried to install Windows on it I got many file-related error messages, I soon discovered that the drive have about twenty bad sectors but he doesn't make any weird sounds or anything :? . I decided it would be good to make a low-level format of the drive so I used the SCSISelect utility that is frozen in my Adaptec 2940UW BIOS. Big mistake, after a few minutes the low-level format stopped and I got an error message "Hardware error" or something like that :( . Now Windows tell me that he can't use this drive, probably because the low-level format is not completed but now every time I try to low-level format the drive with SCSISelect I get an error message after a few minutes :( . I tried to upgrade the BIOS of my SCSI card, now it's 2.20 but I get the same error anyway.

I decided to try HDDGuru's low-level format utility version 2.36 build 1181 but as soon as the process started I got a error message saying "Seek error on sector XXXXX" for each sector, so after 8 hours when the process ended my drive was in the same condition that before, the formatting had not been done. Does anybody had that problem with the utility? Is my drive broken? Thanks for the answers! :( :(

Monkey

Post subject: Re: Fujitsu MAM3367MC Low-level format, big problem
PostPosted: June 25th, 2008, 6:15 

Hello,

In my first think, your drive can be damaged during shipping.
Sounds like bad/weak head. :(

Janos