All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: HDDSuperClone - A new Linux hard drive cloning/imaging t
PostPosted: December 6th, 2020, 22:46 

Lardman wrote:
Bug report :

If the drive you save the progress file onto runs out of space a 0 byte file is written over the progress file, Even worse it looks like the 0 byte progress file is then automatically copied over the progress backup file :shock: (or whichever way round you're copying / moving the logs).

Found that one out the hard way ! :cry:

The latest release fixes the issue of the log becoming 0 bytes if you run out of space. So after you install the latest version, feel free to run out of space again as needed :lol: :shock: :roll:

PostPosted: December 6th, 2020, 22:50 

The newest update has a fix for using the direct USB mode with card readers. But I had some crazy results with that. One desktop computer with a built in card reader would only read one of my SD cards, but not the other. Another desktop with a built in card reader would read the card that the other desktop would not, but would not read the card that the other desktop would. This is not just with the direct USB mode, but also with the computer OS itself. And then I had another desktop with an aftermarket card reader installed that would not work with the direct mode at all because for some reason it could not get an id, but it did show both cards in the OS. And then I have a laptop with a built in card reader that also worked with both cards in the OS, but could not communicate with them in direct mode. So when it comes to card readers and the direct USB mode, I guess it is hit and miss. And there is not enough demand for me to spend too much time trying to figure it out. My thought is if you really need something like an SD card recovered using the direct USB mode, then try to find a card reader that works with it.

Edit:
I would like to add that all of the card readers I tested were directly connect to the motherboard. None of them were actual USB connected devices. Maybe that has something to do with some of the results. I don't have any actual USB card readers to test at this time.

PostPosted: December 7th, 2020, 1:32 

maximus wrote:
The newest update has a fix for using the direct USB mode with card readers. But I had some crazy results with that. One desktop computer with a built in card reader would only read one of my SD cards, but not the other. Another desktop with a built in card reader would read the card that the other desktop would not, but would not read the card that the other desktop would. This is not just with the direct USB mode, but also with the computer OS itself. And then I had another desktop with an aftermarket card reader installed that would not work with the direct mode at all because for some reason it could not get an id, but it did show both cards in the OS. And then I have a laptop with a built in card reader that also worked with both cards in the OS, but could not communicate with them in direct mode. So when it comes to card readers and the direct USB mode, I guess it is hit and miss. And there is not enough demand for me to spend too much time trying to figure it out. My thought is if you really need something like an SD card recovered using the direct USB mode, then try to find a card reader that works with it.

Edit:
I would like to add that all of the card readers I tested were directly connect to the motherboard. None of them were actual USB connected devices. Maybe that has something to do with some of the results. I don't have any actual USB card readers to test at this time.

I believe the card readers are connected to the Motherboard via USB, if a slotted in one, and those connectors are USB. I wired a USB plug directly on the card reader and it plugged in to USB and works fine. The card reader cable has 2x sets of USB wires to suit pinout if the mobo pins.

Attachment:
card-rdr-usb.jpg
card-rdr-usb.jpg [ 131.64 KiB | Viewed 109810 times ]

PostPosted: December 7th, 2020, 6:19 

Laptop I am using right now has a PCIE card reader.

PostPosted: December 7th, 2020, 21:32 

Quote:
I believe the card readers are connected to the Motherboard via USB, if a slotted in one, and those connectors are USB. I wired a USB plug directly on the card reader and it plugged in to USB and works fine. The card reader cable has 2x sets of USB wires to suit pinout if the mobo pins.

Yeah, you are right, It was late, I was tired and looking for excuses. I was so happy earlier in the day when I had figured something out to make it work, only to find a mixed bag of crap when testing on different computers. Direct USB communication is a bitch, there is a whole lot to it, from the amount of communication for a single command to the number of possible variables. And there is no road map on how to do it. Maybe I will look into it further in the future, when I have the urge to get a big headache :?

PostPosted: December 8th, 2020, 17:07 

FWIW, DeepSpar USB Stabilizer is also very, very picky when it comes to SD Card readers. I don't know of this is related or not, but thought I'd mention it. Basically, use any multi card reader and you can expect trouble. So to use it with SD Cards I use a dedicated SD Card reader that has one 'slot' only. Then it works. It tool me a couple of 666 in 1 card readers before I figured that out. Same thing goes for other memory card formats too, get a dedicated reader for that particular memory card format.

PostPosted: December 8th, 2020, 18:10 

I was advised that the Transcend SD/Micro SD adapter works well with the USB Stabilizer for many users. It works flawlessly for me whereas other multi-device readers don't.

PostPosted: December 8th, 2020, 18:49 

LarrySabo wrote:
I was advised that the Transcend SD/Micro SD adapter works well with the USB Stabilizer for many users. It works flawlessly for me whereas other multi-device readers don't.

Good to know. Sony MRW-S1 works flawlessly for me with Stabilizer.

PostPosted: December 8th, 2020, 19:08 

It does make me feel better that the USB Stabilizer also has issues with different card readers :D

Somewhere I thought I remember that DeepSpar even stated that the USB was difficult, not that I could find that statement again if I tried (I am not trying, no need, I already know).

PostPosted: December 10th, 2020, 21:27 

So from the previous posts it would appear that the USB Stabilizer only works with single slot card readers. Both of the mentioned readers are SD only. I bet that the direct USB mode of HDDSuperClone would have worked with those even before I made the last update. The update was to be able to work with multiple slot readers, which is what I have. So maybe I am even better? :shock: :o :D

Also, for the computers where I said that one would read one card and the other would read the other card, I did get both to read both cards. Part of it was a physical issue, and after reseating (and ramming) the cards in, they both read in the direct mode. Another issue may have been that the older 32 bit version based on 14.04 was not recognizing one card properly on one computer, but I have not verified that is repeatable. That still doesn’t explain why the laptop with only the SD slot doesn’t work, or the computer with the 3rd party card reader totally doesn’t work.

PostPosted: December 10th, 2020, 22:12 

Update on the 3rd party reader that totally doesn’t work. It also has a USB port on it, and that does work, although it shows up as a second device. So I think it has something to do with the that. I think I will consider this card reader an anomaly, and not supported.

PostPosted: December 10th, 2020, 22:48 

Now that I think about it, I always knew that any device that presented itself as more than one device, such as both a USB drive and CD device (like some lockable USB drives), would not be possible to work with. I think the 3rd party card reader I have may fall into this category. So I don’t ever expect to be able to deal with these devices.

PostPosted: December 10th, 2020, 23:10 

And now the laptop. When using the newer 18.04 OS version, it was able to read both cards. So that does indicate that some of my issues have been using the old OS when testing.

So I now have 3 of 4 readers working. And I am considering the one that isn't working to be unsupported due to acting as a dual device.

PostPosted: December 11th, 2020, 7:27 

Quote:
it would appear that the USB Stabilizer

In my experience yes but I am no authority in the matter, merely a user of Stabilizer. As Larry mentions: "Transcend SD/Micro SD adapter works well with the USB Stabilizer for many users" there appear to be exceptions.

I brought up Stabilizer not because I think your goal should be to compete with it, but just to share the observation of the trouble with multi-card readers.

PostPosted: December 11th, 2020, 19:08 

Arch Stanton wrote:
Quote:
it would appear that the USB Stabilizer

In my experience yes but I am no authority in the matter, merely a user of Stabilizer. As Larry mentions: "Transcend SD/Micro SD adapter works well with the USB Stabilizer for many users" there appear to be exceptions.

I brought up Stabilizer not because I think your goal should be to compete with it, but just to share the observation of the trouble with multi-card readers.

My goal is to produce the best software that I can, and make everything work the best that I can make it work. And oh yeah, get some people to buy it :)

But, since my goal is to produce software that can possibly compete with the likes of some DeepSpar products, then I guess I kind of AM trying to compete with DeepSpar :)

Just sayin’, give this dog a bone and he will run with it!

PostPosted: December 12th, 2020, 12:00 

:lol: yeah I get that ..

PostPosted: January 18th, 2021, 18:47 

New version released. Also, the live CD is now based on Xubuntu instead of Lubuntu.

HDDSuperClone Changelog

version 2.2.21 20210117
* Fixed a bug with SCSI and unsupported read 16 command
* Added relay activation buttons to the main window

HDDLiveCD changelog

2021_1_17
Updated HDDSuperClone to version 2.2.21
32 bit ISO is now based on Xubuntu 14.04.5
64 bit ISO is now based on Xubuntu 18.04.5
Added a menu option for easy drive disabling
Removed options for installing the OS

PostPosted: January 27th, 2021, 19:58 

one of the best software i have ever use :) <3

PostPosted: January 28th, 2021, 11:40 

I'll second that. There's nothing like it at the price. I've had a lot of successes with it. Managed to recover thousands of photos from a faulty mac drive last week..

PostPosted: January 28th, 2021, 15:52 

@alfarom, ISTR that you have MRT. Can MRT produce a map file for imaging purposes, like PC3000 does for Data Extractor?

If so, then it shouldn't be too difficult to produce domain files for ddrescue/HDDSuperClone. Each domain file could target one particular head, thus enabling selective imaging by head. At the moment I'm writing a tool which converts DE maps to ddrescue domain files, but the same code could be adapted for MRT.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next