All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: New version of UFS Explorer
PostPosted: May 12th, 2022, 14:10 

Standard edition states it can work with encrypted storages, but it seems only the pro version can handle LUKS, BitLocker, FileVault 2, encrypted APFS, eCryptFS, can you clarify that? Thanks.

PostPosted: May 13th, 2022, 4:10 

grevan, Standard Recovery edition supports BitLocker and encrypted APFS. Please see the specifications on the product page.

PostPosted: May 13th, 2022, 10:35 

Thanks, I saw that description on the compare products table chart, thanks for clarifying.

PostPosted: May 19th, 2022, 3:12 

New features and improvements in Version 9.7:Linux LVM Recovery Module
- Added address translation of text configurations found to the base storage
- Text configurations found is able to be displayed using embedded viewer.
Basic support for LVM thin provisioned volumes (Linux only) through the "Find LVM the tool'
In Disk imager:
- Option added to turn off the source when it is finished (when there is power control in place);
The field for 'Entry name' for EnCase format is now modified (by default, it's identical to the name of the file);
Reworked operation using maps with defects:
- Updated the'map loader' GUI (more clear configuration, plus map preview feature);
Software now supports the use of files in maps (when feasible) to speed up loading time and reduce memory consumption;
A new type of storage object that has an applied map that now allows for the indication of images, defects or free spaces;
Resolved a few bugs or issues that were reported:
In Hex Viewer: Incorrect location of the base for 'big block search', loss the function of a colorer for cached data;
The File system module quiet crash issue caused by bad F2FS;
- Handling soft defect blocks: Extending the file map across the entire block in the scan result
- LUKS decryption: the use of SHA512 as a hash function led to problems with decryption
There are a few minor issue with the GUI (under Windows OS).

PostPosted: June 10th, 2022, 6:50 

What's new in version 9.8:
* Added tool and tab for displaying of a map of block states (defects) applied to a storage;
* Map of block states is now integrated with Explorer and with the 'Go to content'/'Go to descriptor' tools;
* Added 'View map of file' function (displays the imaging status of a specific file);
* Information about defect blocks, recognized by a pattern now can be saved (cached) to a map file;
* Loading of maps of sector states (defective sectors):
- For maps in the ACE Lab format, added automatic section of sector size using the map size to drive size ratio;
- When the ACE Lab RAW map format is selected, software now also recognizes the range-based format (to avoid mistakes);
- For drives with DDI metadata: added an option to enable an external map of defective blocks;
* Block state information is now also passed to 'sub-range', 'transformed' and RAID0/RAID1/JBOD storages;
* Fixed bug with scan of chunks on VMFS6;
* SDLSP and VHDX image file formats now preserve information about the source storage (name and ID);
* Date/time entry fields replaced with the date/time selection dialog;
* In hex viewer, the 'hex search' function:
- Added a function to pause it to release the source storage for other operations;
- When stopped, the last searched position is stored as 'Next location' to allow a jump to it;
* NTFS file system: fixed issue with support of very fragmented files when the FileName attribute is outside of the main MFT entry;
* Fixed bugs with creation of big VHDX files (over 4TB);
* General modifications of maps of block states/defects:
- Native 'sdmf' map format is changed to the "sparse" format for better speed and lower storage usage;
- Reworked internal functions of the disk imager tool to support the sparse format;
- Information about the source storage is now saved to a map and is displayed when the map is loaded;
* SDLSP and VHDX image file formats now preserve information about the source storage (name and ID).

PostPosted: June 26th, 2022, 8:01 

Iurii wrote:
Most of the features of update 9.5 are implemented for all editions of the program, including the cheapest.

Hi Iurii

As suggested by Dr-Kiev for a bitlocker + Mcafee decryption case I am planning to purchase UFS explorer standard version ( pro is very much costly and I will not be able to afford) (https://forum.hddguru.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=42528)
I want to image M.2 SSD 512 Gb on 1TB 2.5" SSD ( vhdx) and perform bitlocker decryption. (Due to multiple encryption windows is not booting up)
after successful decryption I want to mount it as vm.
Does standard version supports all this functions ( advanced imaging and bitlocker decryption).
In UFS explorer standard page it says it supports decryption ,but in product compare page its mentioned as non supported.
Also most of the features are available for version 9.X but on product purchase page version shown is 8 .
Can you pls. help for clarification.
Thanks

Attachments:
UFS.png
UFS.png [ 64.46 KiB | Viewed 117113 times ]

PostPosted: June 26th, 2022, 8:14 

Maybe Recovery Explorer is an alternative? https://www.r-explorer.com/recovery-exp ... fessional/

PostPosted: June 26th, 2022, 11:02 

Arch Stanton wrote:
Maybe Recovery Explorer is an alternative? https://www.r-explorer.com/recovery-exp ... fessional/

Thanks Arch.
Yes you are right pro version of r-explorer is for $199 . Since it is from same developer maybe imaging and other functions are same.
I have read that image created using UFS Explorer is most accurate for decryption purpose.

PostPosted: June 27th, 2022, 4:29 

Also remember you need an commercial license to use it for commercial purpose.

PostPosted: June 27th, 2022, 9:59 

digisupport wrote:

Yes In case of UFS explorer thats the reason I can't afford it. However R-explorer has only 3 versions ,pro costs $199 . I don't know whether it can be used in commercial use.
If it can't then I will use pc3000 , Hddsuperclone etc.
Anyway If UFS explorer has self bootable USB live type option then only it will be perform safe clone /image ( in windows version mounting suspect disk may overwrite some part while mounting it, which linux based boot live Cd's don't do.

However MBR /Boot sector don't seems to truly get cloned in pc3000. I have often observed even If I clone a disk 100% successfully target disk shows unallocated.
Same disk if cloned using software based technique show volume.
In case of bitlocker /mcafee encryption case where every sector is crucial ,I think UFS explorer is the only best solution.
Actually R-explorer does not support Bitlocker decryption and advanced imaging functions so its of no use.

Attachments:
Screenshot 2022-06-27 065747.png
Screenshot 2022-06-27 065747.png [ 43.94 KiB | Viewed 117006 times ]

PostPosted: June 27th, 2022, 11:21 

terminator2 wrote:
digisupport wrote:

Yes In case of UFS explorer thats the reason I can't afford it.

If you are charging for your services and cannot afford the tools to do the job, perhaps it is because you are not charging enough for your services.

PostPosted: June 27th, 2022, 11:50 

It's hard to choose a product when there are so many comparison tables. It's even worse when every product has a technical specification. And it's just terrible when there is a list of releases with updates. It's even harder when there is a license agreement that specifies that only a commercial license can be used for commercial purposes.

PostPosted: June 27th, 2022, 12:14 

terminator2 wrote:
digisupport wrote:

"However MBR /Boot sector don't seems to truly get cloned in pc3000."

It is cloned just perfect, but it´s actually an option in PC3000 DE to modify MBR to prevent Windows access.

Recovery Explorer has 3 editions but also 3 license types. Personal, Commercial and Corporate.

PostPosted: June 27th, 2022, 16:30 

terminator2 wrote:
digisupport wrote:

However MBR /Boot sector don't seems to truly get cloned in pc3000. I have often observed even If I clone a disk 100% successfully target disk shows unallocated.

I don't have PC3000, but does it perhaps flip 55 AA signature in MBR on clone?

PostPosted: June 27th, 2022, 16:31 

Oh sorry, digisupport suggested this already.

PostPosted: June 27th, 2022, 23:44 

lcoughey wrote:
terminator2 wrote:
digisupport wrote:

Yes In case of UFS explorer thats the reason I can't afford it.

If you are charging for your services and cannot afford the tools to do the job, perhaps it is because you are not charging enough for your services.

Here in this case I will have to diagnose disk first (free of cost). If data is not recovered then obviously customer will not pay.
Now for diagnostics I will have to pay first and buy software. Had it been costing $100-$150 I would have spent that ,but spending $699 for one year for a case whose output is not certain is not wise in these crucial uncertain times.

PostPosted: June 28th, 2022, 2:10 

Just try the demo version of UFS and see if it can do the job.....the demo limitation is that you cannot save files bigger than 768kb.

Rgds

PostPosted: June 28th, 2022, 2:54 

ccc wrote:
Just try the demo version of UFS and see if it can do the job.....the demo limitation is that you cannot save files bigger than 768kb.

Rgds

Thanks CCC
yes if Demo version supports imaging SSD in VHDX format then that will solve my purpose.
Thanks for suggestion.

PostPosted: July 6th, 2022, 15:13 

terminator2 wrote:
ccc wrote:

Rgds

Thanks CCC
yes if Demo version supports imaging SSD in VHDX format then that will solve my purpose.
Thanks for suggestion.

To do just imaging you don't need that tool. There are many different almost for free.
UFS is much more complex tool, mostly for accessing unusual FS , solve logical issues and reconstructing raids.

PostPosted: July 11th, 2022, 0:37 

DR-Kiev wrote:
terminator2 wrote:
ccc wrote:

Rgds

Thanks CCC
Thanks for suggestion.

To do just imaging you don't need that tool. There are many different almost for free.
UFS is much more complex tool, mostly for accessing unusual FS , solve logical issues and reconstructing raids.

Hi DR-Kiev
Can you pls. suggest any modestly priced tool which can handle NVME SSD/s and other latest media. It should supports imaging in many formats like VHDX /VM etc.
I am looking for software for particularly Bitlocker decryption cases. I already have R-Image license , winhex license alongwith many other licenses.
But I want image compatible with many forensic decryption softwares and moutntable format type (VHDX etc)
Thanks

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next