All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1.8V serial flash memory. Will ch341a wit 1.8V adaptor work?
PostPosted: February 14th, 2020, 15:38 

Hello,
I have a WINBOND 25Q80BW10 memory(1.8V) and I have to dump and write this one.
I plan to buy a ch341a EEPROM programmer and the 1.8V adapter. Before I buy it, I would like to know if my choice is good.
I installed some GUI for ch341a but I did not find my 1.8V flash memory in the list. (as expected).

I also expected that with the 1.8V adapter I can dump the content of the memory. Am I right?
How does this EEPROM programmer work with the 1.8V adapter.
Am I missing something?

Do you have other recommendations?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: 1.8V serial flash memory. Will ch341a wit 1.8V adaptor w
PostPosted: February 14th, 2020, 16:12 

Some people recommend Revelprog-IS, but it costs around US$100.

If you intend to do in-circuit reading and programming, I would check your programmer to make sure that it does not hardwire the /Hold pin to Vcc. If it does, then I would cut the trace and use a resistor to pull it up to Vcc.

PostPosted: February 16th, 2020, 7:59 

Nobody used ch341a with 1.8V adaptor?

PostPosted: February 17th, 2020, 2:42 

I did and it worked fine.

PostPosted: February 17th, 2020, 2:52 

Have on tried on the same memory?
Because it's a 1.8V memory, It's not available in the list, how did you proceed?
Thanks

PostPosted: February 17th, 2020, 4:00 

Sorry: Have you tried on the same memory?

PostPosted: February 17th, 2020, 14:26 

After digging a couple of hours on the internet. It seams that CH341A - GUI V1.30 (it must be higher than V1.29) it will have 25Q80BW on the list.
p.s. take care, this memory must be used together with 1.8V adapter.

PostPosted: February 20th, 2020, 4:57 

I have a problem reading the 25Q80BW memory with CH341A (+1.8V adapter).

CH341A EEPROM Programmer (software V1.3): I check it with a 3.3V memory, it does work (but it's not able to detect the memory, I have to manual select it). I was able to read/write etc...
I tried to read my 25Q80BW flash memory (not with the clamp) from a donor SSHD (with 1.8V adapter). It does not auto detect it and even if I manual select it's still not working, I get the following errors (please ignore the device state, I made the print screen after I disconnect the programmer from USB):

Attachment:
CH341A_Programmer.png
CH341A_Programmer.png [ 51.48 KiB | Viewed 32554 times ]

Attachment:
CH341A_Error_at_Detect.png
CH341A_Error_at_Detect.png [ 4.56 KiB | Viewed 32554 times ]

The memory is still ok, I solder it back to the PCB and the SSHD it's working.

Do you have any ideas? Thanks

PostPosted: February 21st, 2020, 4:18 

AFAIR, the software won't autodetect the chip but if you choose a spi flash with the same capacity, it should read ok.
Are you sure the adapter is working and connections with the chip are good?

PostPosted: February 21st, 2020, 4:33 

Hello, thanks for reply. Actually it does not auto detect any memory on my side. (I have checked 3 types.) and 2 software versions (GUI).
- 25Q80BW10 is on the list start v1.29 (of ch341a).

The 1.8V adapter design is wrong.(Faulty PCB design or the wrong Voltage Level Translator):
- the Voltage Level Translator is not for 1.8V is 2.3 V to 5.5 V (If I remember correctly). I assume that this IC is wrong on my sample.
- On the PCB the input is connected to the output and the output to input. (probably there is another IC for which the PCB design is ok)

Anyway, I rotate 180' the IC, rised up 2 pins and solder 2 wires and I was able to read my memory. It seams that this IC is working with 1.8V also. (Even that this is not clearly specified in the datasheet)

All the hints above are based on the oscilloscope measurements.

Cheap product = low quality :?

p.s. I saw on other forums that a lot of people have problems with 1.8V adapter. Now I understand way, the designer of product was not able to make a simple schematic and choose the right components (2 components: Voltage Level Translator and 1.8V regulator). I wonder how he/they managed to choose the right regulator :shock: incredible.

PostPosted: January 27th, 2021, 10:31 

roots wrote:
Hello, thanks for reply. Actually it does not auto detect any memory on my side. (I have checked 3 types.) and 2 software versions (GUI).
- 25Q80BW10 is on the list start v1.29 (of ch341a).

The 1.8V adapter design is wrong.(Faulty PCB design or the wrong Voltage Level Translator):
- the Voltage Level Translator is not for 1.8V is 2.3 V to 5.5 V (If I remember correctly). I assume that this IC is wrong on my sample.
- On the PCB the input is connected to the output and the output to input. (probably there is another IC for which the PCB design is ok)

Anyway, I rotate 180' the IC, rised up 2 pins and solder 2 wires and I was able to read my memory. It seams that this IC is working with 1.8V also. (Even that this is not clearly specified in the datasheet)

All the hints above are based on the oscilloscope measurements.

Cheap product = low quality :?

p.s. I saw on other forums that a lot of people have problems with 1.8V adapter. Now I understand way, the designer of product was not able to make a simple schematic and choose the right components (2 components: Voltage Level Translator and 1.8V regulator). I wonder how he/they managed to choose the right regulator :shock: incredible.

Hi Roots!

I just ran into the same issue. I see you haven't been active for a few months, but I'm still hoping you'll see this..

Can you please explain more how did you fix it? Which chip did you rotate and which pins did you lift and connect? I'm having the same problem and wasn't able to fully diagnose it myself.

I did understand that VccB is being supplied directly 3.3V from my programmer, but according to schematic VccA should be supplied 3.3V if we're lowering to 1.8V yeah?

The chip is ALVC16245.

Thanks a lot in advance man. I hope you see this. :)

P.S if other usesr read this, maybe if you have an idea too how to fix it, I would greatly appreciate the help

PostPosted: January 28th, 2021, 2:16 

Hello,

Actually I had a notification for this post!
I did not check the entire post, I don't remember the issue here. But, if you are talking about the 1.8V adapter, in the picture you will find the fix.

Remember that the two pins are raised up (no contact between the pin and the PCB pad)
If you have the same PCB layout design and the same IC (check the part number from it) most probably this will not working until you made the changes.
As far as I remember I flipped the chip also, you can easily check this if you compare my picture with your adapter. I raised up 2 pins and I soldered the 2 wires.
Why I have done that?! Again, as far as I remember the PCB layout or de the IC was wrong, this 2 will never work together, because the IC was wrongly supplied. Probably the PCB is working with other IC or this is IC is working with other PCB, what can I say, 2€ adapter, poor design poor tracking of the "project"....

Let me know if everything is clear. And also I would like to know if you managed to fix it :)

Good luck!

Attachments:
20210128_080159.jpg
20210128_080159.jpg [ 3.04 MiB | Viewed 26832 times ]

PostPosted: February 4th, 2021, 17:29 

roots wrote:
Hello,

Actually I had a notification for this post!
I did not check the entire post, I don't remember the issue here. But, if you are talking about the 1.8V adapter, in the picture you will find the fix.

Remember that the two pins are raised up (no contact between the pin and the PCB pad)
If you have the same PCB layout design and the same IC (check the part number from it) most probably this will not working until you made the changes.
As far as I remember I flipped the chip also, you can easily check this if you compare my picture with your adapter. I raised up 2 pins and I soldered the 2 wires.
Why I have done that?! Again, as far as I remember the PCB layout or de the IC was wrong, this 2 will never work together, because the IC was wrongly supplied. Probably the PCB is working with other IC or this is IC is working with other PCB, what can I say, 2€ adapter, poor design poor tracking of the "project"....

Let me know if everything is clear. And also I would like to know if you managed to fix it :)

Good luck!

Oh my god! It worked! I checked the spec too, but couldn't completely figure out everything myself. Here are pictures! https://imgur.com/a/rAhEvQj

I flipped it completely with a soldering iron, first time also soldering a SSOP48 myself. I can't believe I didn't mess up. Dude roots, thanks so much, I still can't believe you figured it out yourself using the datasheet and scope!

The only thing I figured out myself before finding your post that the chip seems to take higher voltage from B side and lower it to A side, meaning that it wasn't flipped correctly. Then I also figured - if I flip it myself, I'd have to raise the voltage pin too and supply voltage, but I didn't know how to actually change the direction or how to check if all traces were completely good for flipping..

Thanks once again! It works! The chinese are selling flawed 1.8V logic converters everywhere these days! Damn!

PostPosted: February 5th, 2021, 3:02 

You're welcome man. I'm glad I could help.

Gook luck :beer: