Switch to full style
Tools for hard drive diagnostics, repair, and data recovery
Post a reply

Copying Linux drive

April 22nd, 2021, 17:01

I've got a customer's 1tb Seagate 3.5" drive that was in a Buffalo NAS customer device. He had tried to update the firmware and it failed. I've removed the Seagate and sure enough it had a lot of bad sectors on it. I used HDDSuperclone Pro and successfully cloned it. I need to convert the disc into something that Windows can read. Is ExFat the easiest way of doing it?

Re: Copying Linux drive

April 22nd, 2021, 19:15

Is the intent to recover the files? Or to use the clone drive by mounting it long term on a Windows machine?

Some to ways to consider:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.howtog ... ndows/amp/

April 22nd, 2021, 21:12

No, customer just wants the data from the NAS drive onto his supplied drive for a Windows setup.

April 22nd, 2021, 21:13

alfarom wrote:No, customer just wants the data from the NAS drive onto his supplied drive for a Windows setup.

Ok, great. So need.to worry about mounting it. Just extract using a data recovery tool, UFS Explorer perhaps, as it best with ext volumes in my opinion.

April 22nd, 2021, 21:15

Haven't got UFS Explorer, does DMDE work for this?

April 22nd, 2021, 21:53

alfarom wrote:Haven't got UFS Explorer, does DMDE work for this?

I forget if it supports ext volumes.

April 22nd, 2021, 21:56

I can see the file structure on the clone but the Home directory doesn't have anything in it. This is using DMDE

April 22nd, 2021, 23:14

Have to scan, as the file system is probably affected by bad sectors

April 23rd, 2021, 7:04

I'll try DMDE in Linux rather that Windows.

April 23rd, 2021, 8:56

Success. Using a linux system I could see all the data which was in the shared folder and copy it to the supplied drive which is Windows readable in ExFat. I might backup the data, format the donor drive as NTFS and copy the data back.

April 23rd, 2021, 8:59

Nice.
Would definitely stay away from exFAT.

April 23rd, 2021, 9:12

Worked to get hold of the data. As I said, I am backing up the data and converting the new drive to NTFS and will copy the recovered data back.

April 23rd, 2021, 17:38

Were you able to see the shared folder by using DMDE in Linux or just by mounting it ?
I was wondering if DMDE would behave different in Linux.
Thanks

April 24th, 2021, 2:15

In the end I was able to mount and view the clone in Linux. Copied user data to backup without issue. DMDE can access drives in Linux.

April 24th, 2021, 10:00

That's what I thought.
Thanks.
Post a reply