Switch to full style
Tools for hard drive diagnostics, repair, and data recovery
Post a reply

External tool to fix windows registry

July 25th, 2021, 15:18

Hello,

I got new AsusZenBook UX482E, customer said he installed Anti-virus and after that device didn't boot. Data recovery is not enough, he want the PC to reboot to keep all config as before.
I've tried all know trick, tips (restore point, safe mode, disable auto-recovery, bcdedit, fixboot, diskpart, sfcan... I've read many Microsoft forum) nothing works. When I check the SRT logs on Windows\System32 there is nothing that could help, it just say

"error 0x0 .. Despite several tries system boot can not find the problem"

PC keep rebooting in "recovery ..." then failed and go to Windows recovery tool where nothing workd. It really looks like bad registry.

I've cloned the SSD. I should have say no from the begining... but he said it was "data recovery" case... not really the case in fact.

If I plug that SSD into a USB dock and then connect it to another PC, Is there a tool that can help fix registry (scan and fix) on external HDD ?

(once again, I know why I don't want to do PC-Support...)
Thanks
CB

Re: External tool to fix windows registry

July 25th, 2021, 16:45

I would just give it back and suggest he contact a PC repair tech.

If there is nothing in c:\Windows\System32\Config\Regback, there's nothing more for you to do. If there is, you can try restoring the back-up hives after backing up (renaming) the current ones...on the clone, of course -- don't mess with the original drive any more.

July 25th, 2021, 19:10

Cases like that are like a rabbit hole. If you're offering data recovery explain him what it is you do and that this ain't it.

July 26th, 2021, 1:42

Thanks guys. I've checked Regback but it was empty. I am going to tell him best option is using windows recovery tool "reset and keep my files"
Post a reply