All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bench Power Supply
PostPosted: August 8th, 2021, 5:46 

I'm spending more time (rightly or wrongly) trying to fix boards rather than just swapping them over. I need a better way of powering them on the bench while testing. Ideally I want to be able to do 3.5", 2.5" and usb drives, I want to see current drawn and I want to something I can inject voltage with to find/burn out shorts. Anyone already got a nice setup they want to share?

Post subject: Re: Bench Power Supply
PostPosted: August 8th, 2021, 7:25 

Lardman wrote:
I'm spending more time (rightly or wrongly) trying to fix boards rather than just swapping them over. I need a better way of powering them on the bench while testing. Ideally I want to be able to do 3.5", 2.5" and usb drives, I want to see current drawn and I want to something I can inject voltage with to find/burn out shorts. Anyone already got a nice setup they want to share?

Well,
USB Drives and 2.5" Drives Use only 5+ VCC and GND ,3.5" Uses 12+ VCC and 5+ VCC and GND ,So any single channel Linear Power supply will work for everything other then 3.5" HDD ,For that you need dual channel power supply or two powersupplies with common ground "Never Done This Combination " Myself i mean 3.5" HDD setup

Website-> http://www.chandigarhdatarecovery.com

Post subject: Re: Bench Power Supply
PostPosted: August 10th, 2021, 2:55 

I am using a EEZ H24005 which is a programmable dual channel power supply, you can combine the 2 channels in various ways, like common ground and different voltages. I haven't come across a HDD/SSD yet which needs 3 voltages (12V, 5V, 3.3V), so dual channel should be sufficient. The only thing you have to be careful about is not to inject negative voltages backwards into the power supply (e.g. with motors) since the TVS diodes are hard to replace.