All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Backup To OneDrive Software? Everything! Best Software?
PostPosted: February 4th, 2022, 20:03 

I contacted Microsoft and they said they do not have software to where you could backup all your files to one drive. I mean you can copy some of your files to your one drive folder and back stuff up. However, it does not do this automatically.

I have around (10) hard drives I want to backup to the cloud with One Drive. What is the best software to do this with?

AOMEI Backupper
I Drive
Easeus

I do not want a Cloud Plan. I just need the software to take my DATA and Transfer it to the cloud in a nice, readable, viewable fashion. I wish there was software that acts just like one drive to where it syncs as files change however, I do not think that exists. I do not want some crappy backup file extension where all my data goes into one big data dump file.

Does this exist?

Can you help?

Recommendations?

I would love to have software to where I can connect my one drive up. Point the folder or drive I want backed up and let it upload for days all of my data to my cloud drive.

Bonus

When a change is my it detects it and backs that file up or replaces it

However, if that is not possible I would simply like to copy my files over to one drive with this software and back up everything to one drive. Am I making sense?

Please help with any recommendations.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Backup To OneDrive Software? Everything! Best Software?
PostPosted: February 4th, 2022, 20:23 

I have around 64 TB of DATA I would like to back up on Cloud Storage. I plan to get a 5+/- business accounts with Microsoft in order to get unlimited cloud storage. I don't care that it will takes days/weeks to get all my DATA to the cloud. I just want a good clean backup that I can access. Great Point. I do not want it in an Archive status. That is Crap.

I need an EPIC piece of software that will let me transfer all of my DATA from my computer to one drive perfectly. Whether it be 5TB, 15TB or 64 TB. The sky is the limit.

I know. But how do I add the folder without copying everything to my drive twice over?

My One Drive is on my C: Drive and For Example I want to Copy ... Lets say two hard drives. D and E. Totaling 10 TB.

I do not want to copy D and E drives to my C drive and the cloud when I drag and copy of them over. I just want to copy D and E to the Cloud. No where else.

PostPosted: February 5th, 2022, 9:29 

So far it looks like my best option is to:

Copy about 1TB of data to my onedrive folder at a time.

Then click “free space”

That will remove the data from my hard drive and leave it online with the cloud.

Rinse and repeat until all my data is on the cloud.

I was going to use the “web browser” to simply upload the files from say i.e. my D drive however, the browser is horrible and hangs all the time. Even one a million dollar computer.

PostPosted: February 5th, 2022, 10:17 

Why are you trying to do it that way ... no actually don't answer that.

If you really want all your data in the cloud and you don't want it as part of a backup or archive solution, why not just rent a vps, setup VPN services create a SMB share and use it as a network share. It will cost you more for storage but by far more flexible. Hosted services like onedrive are cheap because of their limitations they're not designed for stuffing 64TB of data into them.

Personally I have no idea why people have 64TB in their "homework" folder.

PostPosted: February 5th, 2022, 11:35 

Lardman wrote:
Why are you trying to do it that way ... no actually don't answer that.

If you really want all your data in the cloud and you don't want it as part of a backup or archive solution, why not just rent a vps, setup VPN services create a SMB share and use it as a network share. It will cost you more for storage but by far more flexible. Hosted services like onedrive are cheap because of their limitations they're not designed for stuffing 64TB of data into them.

Personally I have no idea why people have 64TB in their "homework" folder.

Interesting. Virtual Private Server? I will look into that. Using a VPN for what? Security to transfer my data to it? I do like the thought of SMB + VPS + Network share. That is a cool thought.

I do see why they are cheap, because of their limitations. Interesting.

I really probably have around MAX 15 to 25 TB of DATA that I truly want backed up. I just want the ultimate backup solution. Hard Drives in a SAFE. Cloud Back Up solution. Storage Bay connected to personal Computer. That way if house burns down, safe gets hit by a missile, or cloud solution servers get hit by a tsunami. The whole world would have to blow up for me to lose my DATA.

Are you saying it would be better to create a home based NAS setup. However, what happens if your house burns down?

PostPosted: February 5th, 2022, 21:11 

Quote:
I have around 64 TB of DATA I would like to back up on Cloud Storage. I plan to get a 5+/- business accounts with Microsoft in order to get unlimited cloud storage. I don't care that it will takes days/weeks to get all my DATA to the cloud.
Dang, I have a 2TB Dropbox account and only use 10GB. It would take me half a year to upload 2TB with my upload speed. While I do have a few TB of data that I backup locally, I only backup mission critical data to the cloud.

How important is all of that data? If it is that important, have you considered using a local NAS with a cloud backup solution? Something like a Synology backed up to Backblaze (or alternatives of either). It would cost a considerable amount of money though, but would be a good backup solution for such a large amount of data.

PostPosted: February 5th, 2022, 22:00 

Are there any cloud services that will allow you to "upload" your data via the postal service? I mean, can they accept your encrypted data on a HDD, and then transfer it to their arrays?

PostPosted: February 6th, 2022, 4:09 

fzabkar wrote:
Are there any cloud services that will allow you to "upload" your data via the postal service?
Most will. Even backblaze will want 350USD/month for that sort of storage and that's without access fees.

I'm surprised the data isn't already located on a local NAS - seems a no brainer.

The OP's original requirements explicitly exclude a backup solution - they're for replication. Domestically I'd be far more concerned about theft than fire, a backup or failover replication to a second location would cover that. Plenty of off the shelf solutions are available or open source if you you want to roll your own. Nothing is cheap at those sorts of volume though.