Switch to full style
Tools for hard drive diagnostics, repair, and data recovery
Post a reply

Best tool for recovering folders

February 21st, 2022, 13:29

Hello all

I have a "working" SATA hd (OS: Windows 10) which is currently giving me some problem (of course on the folders I use the most). The windows error is "Impossible to access to foldername. The file/folder is damaged and cannot be read" (loosely translated from the language of my Windows)

Luckily the data are quite regularly backupped so the data lost is not tremendous, still I would like to try and recover it to prevent me from losing a day of work.

Is there any tool you suggest for trying to recover the contents of precise folders? I don't have a spare hdd matching the size of the suffering hdd so I cannot clone the whole hdd. Freeware sw would be best, but I could consider also a reasonable licence fee

Thanks in advance
vindalooman

Re: Best tool for recovering folders

February 21st, 2022, 19:18

You really do need to clone the drive with DDRescue orr HDDSuperclone. Recovering the data just with SW may not be possible. See if you can borrow a drive from a friend.

February 21st, 2022, 19:45

DMDE will allow you to target a particular folder. It also has error recovery options which you can adjust to help you to deal with bad sectors. It's not a substitute for cloning, though. Be prepared to lose your drive if you thrash it too much.

February 22nd, 2022, 3:34

thanks for the answers, I am polling my friends for a hdd to borrow for the cloning...
in the mean time, before stressing the hdd I have copied all the important "working" content (the broken folders seems to be just 3, of course those I worked in in the last day). Luckily I am (quite :-| ) consistent with the backup operations

VindalooMan
Post a reply