All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help with recovery tools for linux based raid1 formatted HDD
PostPosted: June 5th, 2022, 12:11 

Greetings from Brazil

I have a WD NAS with 2 HDD in RAID1. Some time back the raid1 failed and the NAS attempt to 'initialize' the HDD that was reported as failed, however it nas never completed. So I used the NAS with just one HDD (still in RAID1) until a power outage seems to damage the HDD (it clicks and does not work anymore).

So, I am trying to retrieve the data from the first HDD, that still works BUT had that attempt of 'initialization' with the hope that one of these data recovery tools can help me

What I have done so far:
    Created a image from it in another HDD using gddrescue in Ubuntu
    Ran R-Linux (in Ubuntu and in Windows) - it did not find any of the files I want to recover
    Tried to use ZAR-X in Windows and it does not recognize the partition where the data is (basically, the drive has 4 partitions, so does the disk image) so I can't scan it. I have not tried to run the scan directly in the drive (ZAR-X recognizes all the partitions from the HDD) since I read somewhere you would never run these tools directly against the source drive

So I wonder now what my options are. I can run tools on Ubuntu or Windows and would prefer a open source/free tool before trying any of the paids ones

What do you guys recommend?

Thanks
Gilson

Post subject: Re: Help with recovery tools for linux based raid1 formatted
PostPosted: June 6th, 2022, 7:51 

Can you check with DMDE, just select drive (or image file), does it detect any partitions (without scanning it)?
If not, tick advanced checkbox, now in hex view scroll down, does it see any data at all?
Attachment:
DMDE_Check_Data.png
DMDE_Check_Data.png [ 96.45 KiB | Viewed 6646 times ]

Post subject: Re: Help with recovery tools for linux based raid1 formatted
PostPosted: June 7th, 2022, 16:03 

gsantosoliver wrote:
Greetings from Brazil

I have a WD NAS with 2 HDD in RAID1. Some time back the raid1 failed and the NAS attempt to 'initialize' the HDD that was reported as failed, however it nas never completed. So I used the NAS with just one HDD (still in RAID1) until a power outage seems to damage the HDD (it clicks and does not work anymore).

So, I am trying to retrieve the data from the first HDD, that still works BUT had that attempt of 'initialization' with the hope that one of these data recovery tools can help me

What I have done so far:
    Created a image from it in another HDD using gddrescue in Ubuntu

So I wonder now what my options are. I can run tools on Ubuntu or Windows and would prefer a open source/free tool before trying any of the paids ones

Try to use R-Studio in its Demo mode (free) to "Fast search for lost partitions". It may show whether it's possible to find those partitions. If yes you may either buy R-Studio or try some other free software knowing that the partitions can be found.