All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WD Decryption Hardware Tools
PostPosted: June 15th, 2022, 5:29 

Hi, We have WD decryption hardware tools that we used in the past to decrypt element drives that we could clone but did not had access to the decryption key. I am looking to renew these with newer versions or maybe looking at purchasing other type of hardware tools. Does anyone know where I can find these tools as it seems the web site is not really helpful?
Or direct me to another solution?

Attachments:
20220615_112313.jpg
20220615_112313.jpg [ 291.5 KiB | Viewed 15067 times ]
20220615_112306.jpg
20220615_112306.jpg [ 291.21 KiB | Viewed 15067 times ]

Post subject: Re: WD Decryption Hardware Tools
PostPosted: June 15th, 2022, 6:33 

we are selling If you are looking for the password unlocking/bypass methods for those drives
in case password is unknown or forgotten

http://unixgtc.com/wp/smartware-password-unlocking-pcb/

contact us from our website for more details if needed

PostPosted: June 15th, 2022, 13:19 

Elements models are not encrypted.

If you don't like the free software based solutions, then why not just use a My Book bridge PCB?

PostPosted: June 20th, 2022, 3:36 

Thank you. My mistake, I was referring to the My passport.

PostPosted: March 29th, 2023, 23:55 

einstein9 wrote:
we are selling If you are looking for the password unlocking/bypass methods for those drives

Isnt the sale of such devices unethical? To Law enforcement I agree but what if this got into the wrong hands?

How do you verify ownership? I believe this is not right because for all I know someone could find a random drive / steal and wreck peoples life.

Providing such software openly on such platforms without any checks is highly unethical.

PostPosted: March 30th, 2023, 5:37 

CNET.TECHNOLOGY wrote:
einstein9 wrote:

Isnt the sale of such devices unethical? To Law enforcement I agree but what if this got into the wrong hands?

How do you verify ownership? I believe this is not right because for all I know someone could find a random drive / steal and wreck peoples life.

Providing such software openly on such platforms without any checks is highly unethical.

:| :| :shock:

PostPosted: March 30th, 2023, 18:30 

CNET.TECHNOLOGY wrote:
einstein9 wrote:

weren't you asking for the same thing a while ago?

PostPosted: March 30th, 2023, 19:18 

Arch Stanton wrote:
CNET.TECHNOLOGY wrote:
einstein9 wrote:

Yes, what if my drive was stolen and someone else would ask such services? It got me thinking!
Data recovery is one thing but actively making tools available on market is not fair. I think it breaches ethical vulnerability policies.

I agree law enforcement angle but not regular users, these drives are sold in colleges and explained to be safe to keep personal information of college kids safe. We all got free WD passports in 2018 and many of put all our life's and college work into the drive, WD deems their product is safe but bad actors cant actively sell tools this way.

My only ask is putting a process to verify the drive ownership, as a student of cyber law one can not build and sell exploits to a open market. I fully agree that only a police warrant / law officers must have such tools.

I only asked to fully understand how easy it was for someone to just sell such services.

To Einstein9 I appreciate that you only sell phone unlock software to law enforcement, please not that theft / loss of phones in public places are high and if some bad actor got access to these devices lives can be ruined. From personal experience my grandmother lost 30000$ since some one figured pattern lock was easy peasy to hack via brute force.

PostPosted: April 1st, 2023, 5:31 

Arch Stanton wrote:
CNET.TECHNOLOGY wrote:
einstein9 wrote:

Have you tried to contact us 1st. about the service/product we are offering before you come up with such conclusion?

PostPosted: April 1st, 2023, 6:23 

CNET.TECHNOLOGY wrote:

Yes, what if my drive was stolen and someone else would ask such services? It got me thinking!
Data recovery is one thing but actively making tools available on market is not fair. I think it breaches ethical vulnerability policies.

I agree law enforcement angle but not regular users, these drives are sold in colleges and explained to be safe to keep personal information of college kids safe. We all got free WD passports in 2018 and many of put all our life's and college work into the drive, WD deems their product is safe but bad actors cant actively sell tools this way.

My only ask is putting a process to verify the drive ownership, as a student of cyber law one can not build and sell exploits to a open market. I fully agree that only a police warrant / law officers must have such tools.

I only asked to fully understand how easy it was for someone to just sell such services.

To Einstein9 I appreciate that you only sell phone unlock software to law enforcement, please not that theft / loss of phones in public places are high and if some bad actor got access to these devices lives can be ruined. From personal experience my grandmother lost 30000$ since some one figured pattern lock was easy peasy to hack via brute force.

You still could argue the same about a simple undelete tool, assuming person A deliberately deleted data to get rid of it, person B can recover it using a simple undelete tool. You can now argue person B is wrong but also that person A is naïve. We agree person B is unethical at first glance as long as we know nothing else of the case (in which we can easily can come up with a story where Person A is the bad and person B is the good guy actually). But we can also ask if it is ethical to be that naïve?

You could also argue that with regards to easy peasy to hack locks, you should be complaining to the developer of the easy peasy to hack lock or even the person selecting the easy peasy to hack lock for security. In an ideal world we shouldn't need worrying about such things, but we live in a far from ideal world in which people steal other people's stuff or even countries.

With regards to limiting offering to law enforcement: It assumes law enforcement is 'the good guy' which is something I am not always so sure about.

Now what about encryption itself that is so good that even law enforcement can not break into it. Ethical or not?

You make this sound like an easy to answer, black and white question which it is not IMHO.

Anyway. Many of us get storage devices each day, we recover data from those without ever asking if the person sending in the device is the actual owner of the data.

PostPosted: April 1st, 2023, 21:36 

Arch Stanton wrote:
CNET.TECHNOLOGY wrote:

You still could argue the same about a simple undelete tool, assuming person A deliberately deleted data to get rid of it, person B can recover it using a simple undelete tool. You can now argue person B is wrong but also that person A is naïve. We agree person B is unethical at first glance as long as we know nothing else of the case (in which we can easily can come up with a story where Person A is the bad and person B is the good guy actually). But we can also ask if it is ethical to be that naïve?

You could also argue that with regards to easy peasy to hack locks, you should be complaining to the developer of the easy peasy to hack lock or even the person selecting the easy peasy to hack lock for security. In an ideal world we shouldn't need worrying about such things, but we live in a far from ideal world in which people steal other people's stuff or even countries.

With regards to limiting offering to law enforcement: It assumes law enforcement is 'the good guy' which is something I am not always so sure about.

Now what about encryption itself that is so good that even law enforcement can not break into it. Ethical or not?

You make this sound like an easy to answer, black and white question which it is not IMHO.

Anyway. Many of us get storage devices each day, we recover data from those without ever asking if the person sending in the device is the actual owner of the data.

I fully agree with recovery, but bypassing passwords is whole different ball game.

I am in no way arguing with professionals like you because I am not a worthy person in this matter, but breaking passwords without ownership process is unethical.

I share your view on law enforcement but we live in the society where law enforcement enforces law. As for einstein9 he is exceptional but I only appeal to him that he needs to put a process so that some sort of ownership is verified. As far as I know selling known exploits in open market does not sit right with me and I have made my point, I am not looking for any outcome here or to challenge the likes of you because I am not the person too.