Tools for hard drive diagnostics, repair, and data recovery
Post a reply

Starting Point of repairing a Hitachi 2.5" Harddisk

April 25th, 2007, 2:17

Dear All

I have a Hitachi Travelstar, model : IC25N080ATMR04-0. It is originally from a IBM T43 laptop. I decided to take it out and I bought a USB Ext. 2.5" harddisk case and would like to retrieve the data. However it is not detected by my WinXP desktop and my new IBM laptop with Vista installed. I then bought a 3.5" to 2.5" converter from computer center, connect the harddisk to the motherboard but BIOS is not detecting it anymore. :(

Can someone please give me a starting point of what to do in the first place ? I think the harddisk is still working but I really don't have a clue what is happening with it. I put my hand on top of the harddisk with power and can feel the motor is spinning, no strange sound. ( I did some research from the net so I guess it is good to note it here )

Please advise, thanks in advance.

April 25th, 2007, 2:18

I am sorry, can the hostmaster please help to move it to the group - Hard Disk Drives: repair and data recovery. I guess I post it in a wrong section.

Sorry about it. :wink:

Probably soft-locked

May 7th, 2007, 7:09

Your drive is most probably soft-locked.
This is common on IBM laptops.
Put it back ino the laptop, go into the BIOS settings and remove all passwords and save. Now, you can put it in your external drive enclosure and the volume should me mountable and accessible.
Good luck.
:-)
Plamen

Re: Probably soft-locked

May 7th, 2007, 19:27

plamen wrote:Your drive is most probably soft-locked.
This is common on IBM laptops.
Put it back ino the laptop, go into the BIOS settings and remove all passwords and save. Now, you can put it in your external drive enclosure and the volume should me mountable and accessible.
Good luck.
:-)
Plamen

How could we remove password on IBM hdd 's?

May 9th, 2007, 7:53

Depending on what type of IBM it is you may be able to HotSwap the disk.

May 21st, 2007, 16:36

Hi,

Your drive is password locked.
To unlock it you need either Pc3000 or EraseON or put it the IBM machine and remember the password.

Regards

Bosse

HDD Rock???

June 27th, 2007, 17:53

Could try HDD Rock as a potential unlock mechanism though it depends on the make/model of the drive.

Whats the model #?

scegy
Post a reply