All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: cloning suggestion
PostPosted: September 3rd, 2008, 6:17 

I would like to clone a clicking drive that is slowly failing, (sorry for being so vague, but it can read some sectors) anyway, would like to buy something that would clone and ignore (only 1 retry or none) on bad sector errors, i am considering deepspar disk imager or data compass or what do you suggest? i need something simple and easy to use, even though i am a qualified electronic engineer, and definitely not an DR expert, i would like to avoid extra stress that i sometimes have no patience for, but many times spend days on projects that yeild very little results, anyway, thank you for your genuine replies.

Post subject: Re: cloning suggestion
PostPosted: September 3rd, 2008, 7:55 

Hi,

You could try R-studio or copyr which are software based only and much cheaper.
Copyr has the advantage you can add a power-supply switch, so the software can switch the drive on and off if neccessary (and with bad drives, that is often needed)
Deepspar will cost you 3000$, so only if you have to clone harddisks very often.

Best regards,

Dobre

Datarecovery in Belgium, Holland, France and Germany
Datarecoverytools http://www.drtools.eu

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2008, 19:02 

Thanks for your reply and suggestion Dobre, i have tried copyr.dma in the past with little success (very slow) the rate it was going at ...would take over a month, maybe I was doing something wrong, have you had success? anyway, will keep it mind, studio -r i have not tried and will give that a go...i believe they have a trial version... will set up an experiment here...i have contacted both Salvation & DeepSpar and am leaning towards DeepSpar disk imager if i go ahead, and you are right it is around 3k....data compass is also around same cost

PostPosted: September 4th, 2008, 2:45 

I have used copyr only once in the past. I can't remember if i had great success with it or not. Since i have now deepspar, that's my preferred tool for cloning :-)
Ow, and i forgot to say, Studio-r cannot clone directly to another drive; you'll need to make an image file and then copy that one back to another good drive.

Dobre

Datarecovery in Belgium, Holland, France and Germany
Datarecoverytools http://www.drtools.eu

PostPosted: September 4th, 2008, 9:14 

I have used copyr called HDD Duplicator full version and at some cases, its more better than DE well DE PCI version , i dont got UDMA until now but we are planning on the next year :) , where´s DE hangs trying to got the sectors from bad media at some models HDD Dup was able to got sectors and use UDMA access .

Regards

PostPosted: September 5th, 2008, 2:54 

thanks beto, will definitely investigate, thank you so much for your suggestion, I just spoke with Alexey, and there is a new updated release of HD duplicator due sometime in September, this full version looks very promising

PostPosted: September 5th, 2008, 10:24 

wow, cool, i cant contact with alexey until now i hope arrived on the next month the update on my inbox :D

Regards

PostPosted: September 5th, 2008, 11:31 

I'm hoping too! I've been very impressed with HD Duplicator's potential, but it's motherboard compatibility needs some work, and Alexy has been missing.

One thing I liked was that, while you could buy a power-switching device, schematics are included, and you could make your own if you wanted. They were only $100, but I like the option of making my own.

PostPosted: September 9th, 2008, 10:17 

Hy rchadwick, the last version alexey told support´s SCSI, but i had tried without sucess, did u tried??

PostPosted: September 9th, 2008, 12:47 

I never tried SCSI with it. I forget why, but something told me it likely wasn't going to work. I think something about the description led me to think it was untested.

PostPosted: September 12th, 2008, 11:39 

Yes it works. I used it some times.
Anyway the guy is back. He promises a new version in september. See www.copyrsoft.com
I have his ICQ contact and sometimes he is active there.
Cheers