All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: RAID 5 rebuild looses 200gb data
PostPosted: September 8th, 2008, 12:59 

Hi, i am hopping this is as fascinating as is to me.

i have a RAID 5 DELL Power edge 6800 SERVER with 3 drives each 300gb making a volume of about 600gb. split into two partitions C: About 20gb" with windows" d: about 500gb " with data and active databases" with almost 400gb of data

i am consulting for the company and this is the information i have in regards to its faliour.

the server RAID filled a few weeks back and the RAID wouldn't rebuild, they called in a Dell consultant who helped them rebuild the RAID.

on the RAID rebuilding the boot partition c; refused to boot so they formatted it and put in a new Windows installation, on booting the windows they realized the d; partition had rebuild but only half of the data previously there is available i.e about 178gb of data is only available the rest is not there.

is there any explanation as to how this may happen
if the rebuilding was done OK, and maybe during the re installation they Run a chkdisk on the volume d; would this cause the loss of data

some of the traces of the missing data being found is mostly data with 0mb in size

there are critical databases missing on the server running on sql 2000, is there a tool to curve our or run a RAW recovery for SQL.

we have run all possible tools r-studio, get data back, data recovery wizard and none of this tools can get the lost data

what explanation exists on this case

how do i get the lost data?

is there a way i could get the windows log files/ event viewer to know what transpired before the faliour, who logged on to the system etc

Chiromo court chiromo road, Westlands
Nairobi Kenya
+254-20-3751400/2/7

Post subject: Re: RAID 5 rebuild looses 200gb data
PostPosted: September 10th, 2008, 16:59 

What you will need to do is look through the d: partition with WinHex or another hexviewer. If there are blocks of zeros at regular intervals, then the rebuild has taken the replacement drive into account. If not then the problem is likely due to a more serious logical problem. If the data is important, then send all disks, including the failed one to a good data recovery company. I only know of one company in South Africa is Imperative Technology