All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Password protected memory card
PostPosted: October 17th, 2008, 9:38 

Hi!
So, I password protected a miniSD inserted in my Nokia N73; unfortunately, the phone broke and, if I try to read the card with a memory card reader connected to the PC, I just can't see it, as nothing was inserted!
I wondered if there's a program to menage a memory card protected by a password, or to unlock it I must put it in a phone?
I remember the password, I just can't read the card!

I searched anywhere, but nobody seems to know

Post subject: Re: Password protected memory card
PostPosted: October 17th, 2008, 11:10 

there are special card readers which allow you to execute MMC-commands to unlock the drive with known password
google it

PostPosted: October 17th, 2008, 13:10 

You mean something like this:
http://www.usbfever.com/index_eproduct_ ... cts_id=168

PostPosted: October 17th, 2008, 13:25 

Mr Wolf wrote:

No
this one is killing data on a card (similar to SecurityErase on HDDs)
you need the one which can use a password to actually unlock the card

PostPosted: October 17th, 2008, 13:55 

Sorry, I wanted to edit my post: I couldn't find a card reader as the one you say, but I found that password unlocker

Could you suggest me a card reader?

PostPosted: October 17th, 2008, 14:49 

Btw: I saw it unlocks cards.. but the data get lost!!!
So, it's usuless, at least to me

PostPosted: October 28th, 2008, 16:56 

Again... Solutions do exist, just pay.
(le soluzioni ci sono, basta pagare)

PostPosted: October 29th, 2008, 7:33 

Pay, pay, pay! Fucking money!
Often, you can solve your problems by yourself, you just have to have the patience to search or ask people who know!

For example, I couldn't do anything for my hard disk, because I couldn't open it by myself, but for example, when I deleted by mistake the table of the partitions, I recovered it all by myself, when I delele a file, I'm always able to recover it

You don't have to translate, I understand you!

PostPosted: October 29th, 2008, 9:11 

If you cannot find such a card reader - make it by yourself, you should create something similar to SIM-card reader which connected to LPT or COM-port and after that write the program which can send MMC-commands to your card

PostPosted: October 29th, 2008, 9:33 

Here is manaul of MMC-cards - http://www.jedec.org/download/search/JESD84-B42.pdf
You can find lock/unlock command there

See the picture for example of LPT cardreader

Attachments:
File comment: MMC LPT cardreader
MyMMCProg.GIF
MyMMCProg.GIF [ 13.29 KiB | Viewed 20017 times ]

PostPosted: October 30th, 2008, 20:56 

That's some good info Doomer, you just saved me plenty of hours of net jetting :lol: Thanks!

PostPosted: October 31st, 2008, 11:08 

There is way to recover data on locked memory cards. I dont like the way some of the members answer queries. No one is having answers to all questions , This is a great place to learn , interact & share knowledge. Instead of critisiing / making other person inferior , it is best not to post.
There is simple solution ( not necessary to have so called proprietoy hardware / software) provided that you have original nokia handset with you ( from which card was locked).
PM me for details , i have that with me but just give me some time to find it.
Thanks
hddbug

PostPosted: October 31st, 2008, 13:05 

Thanks Doomer, I was giving it a fast look, actually, I didn't understand how to send the commands (through a program?), I'll look better later

Hddbug, but if I have the phone, I can unlock the card directly, just as I locked it! The problems is I haven't that phone anymore and I haven't any friend who has it

PostPosted: October 31st, 2008, 15:13 

Mr Wolf wrote:
Thanks Doomer, I was giving it a fast look, actually, I didn't understand how to send the commands (through a program?), I'll look better later

You should develop a program which will use LPT port data-lines and send serial MMC-commands (sequence of bits) to your MMC-card

PostPosted: November 10th, 2008, 13:14 

Mr Wolf wrote:
Pay, pay, pay! Fucking money!
Often, you can solve your problems by yourself, you just have to have the patience to search or ask people who know!

You have a bad bad attitude. You ask for so much, expect answers, demand solutions. What do you have to offer anyone un return? All I see is you wanting and demandind, never offering advice or help on anything you can help with.

What is your profession? I would hate to guess for fear of offending you :wink:

PostPosted: November 10th, 2008, 14:58 

Hey, we're in a forum, aren't we? We're here to discuss
Actually, it's true I came here to ask for advice about my broken hard disk, and I made a lot of questions, but I also wrote in other topics
My knowledge about recovering hard disks is poor at the moment, though, so I can't be of much help... but I assure you I help a lot of people when they're in trouble with their computers

I worked some months as generic informatic technician, I installed and configured computers and softwares; now, as reguards my studies, I passed to informatic engineering (from physics - I broke my particles!)

PostPosted: November 11th, 2008, 13:09 

You mean installing XP or emule or configuring IP, subnet masks and gateways, or install an antivirus ? Or setup a shopping mall quality wi-fi router from internal web-based interface?
I think no one here is interested about these services... every kid can do them nowadays. But expert solutions are not at reach, that's why the cost is relevant. For instance, some days ago I was overwhelmed by things to do (one for all : repair and recalibrate a 6 KVA double-conversion UPS, do some DR work on crashed drives and RAIDS), and I was in the need of a skilled Cisco series 700 / 800 techie for programming a bunch of them . Results : "Oh, I can do it..." after 2 hours my cell rang... "I give up... I try to access the router but it doesn't answer" "for what?" "for programming..." "Are you sure it is connected via console cable" "console ?" "yes, console" "what is 'console' ? I know playstation and WII console...." (sic!) ... I went to get back the Ciscos IMMEDIATELY....
Probably this place is not comfortable for newbies, I suggest other forums where the starting level is much lower, like the level of 'troubles' .
All the rest are trade secrets, sorry. And we're not here to discuss, sorry again. Maybe share a p.o.v. but all the experts here know their stuff. So sorry, but it reminds me when I was younger and wanted to know everything... I had to work it out by myself and invest ON myself. There are great sources for doing it, btw. if you are still going to university, you have (like I had) access to the library. Well, search, you have the possibility to request books from other places, everything is at hand. So the net. So - until a certain extent - the manufacturers. Me, as an enterprise, receive tons of documentation as a subscriber. Maybe for a student this is not possible, but try asking (who knows?).

PostPosted: November 13th, 2008, 13:12 

To be more precise, my last summer job was at the offices of Intesa San Paolo, in Casalecchio di Reno: I made a backup of all the data of the computers before replacing them, then installed and configured the programs, installed net printers and other peripherals...
Ok, nothing that would require a very specific preparation, however I think you shouldn't be surprise about so much people can't do a fuck with the computer!

So, I came here in this forum, I found the section "Hard Disk Drives: data recovery and repair"... and I started to break the balls, that's all!

Otherwise, why to open a public forum, then?
You're absolutely right there are trade secrets, but I wasn't interested in them, I was only a bit curious and wanted to know if something could have been made for my hard disk
And then... I couldn't do anything with the trade secrets, since I don't have a clean room in my garage!

Yeah, I'm still studying and the net is my library...

PostPosted: November 14th, 2008, 6:40 

Mr Wolf wrote:
To be more precise, my last summer job was at the offices of Intesa San Paolo, in Casalecchio di Reno: I made a backup of all the data of the computers before replacing them, then installed and configured the programs, installed net printers and other peripherals...
Ok, nothing that would require a very specific preparation, however I think you shouldn't be surprise about so much people can't do a fuck with the computer!

Why the bad language? the onyl way you will get advice and help here is by showing some respect to the people who you could learn from. And as for your summer job, not really a hard task is it? More like donkey work than anything. Data Recovery is in a completely different league to reinstalling a load of old machines with a new OS.

Mr Wolf wrote:
Yeah, I'm still studying and the net is my library...

You wont learn too much from your 'library', and your making it even harder when your most reliable source (this forum!) gets no appreciation from you.

IMHO, I think you should get yourself a nice easy job as a computer adminstrator at a school or college or something. Maybe you will enjoy it :lol:

PostPosted: November 14th, 2008, 10:12 

Ehi, ok, sorry! However, that's true, much people can't do ANYTHING, that's the unpleasant truth!
Donkey work or not, someone had to do it! And to know how to do it! And don't think it was all roses and flowers! And, the most important thing: it was paid!
I do respect people who know much more than me, why do you say you don't get appreciation from me?
It's only I've been said: you must pay... I thought I could ask for help or advice as in any other forum

For example, about this topic: I just wondered if there was a way to read my password protected card, since it was odd to me it wasn't just neither present in the computer resources, so I just needed an advice, that's all!

I've alredy worked as computer assistant in the informatic laboratory of my old university or college (whatever you call it!), now it's not possible
However, as we say here in Italy, I scratched my balls most of the time there!