All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The free solution to FREE stuck heads
PostPosted: March 24th, 2010, 6:59 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7c_MTX6-gYg

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject: Re: The free solution to FREE stuck heads
PostPosted: March 24th, 2010, 9:00 

That was awful. It made me cringe watching this video. I couldn't imagine putting a screwdriver between the head arm and the platter, let a lone do it while the drive is powered on. Even though I don't recommend it, I think a couple taps with a hammer would have netted better results than this (though, it is more likely to net worse results...just don't do it!).

PostPosted: March 29th, 2010, 14:20 

Most stiction is extremely easy to fix...and this is certainly not the method.

PostPosted: March 30th, 2010, 2:01 

Sure Mr.Russwinters.

It's the DIYer method. :D

PostPosted: April 6th, 2010, 16:44 

You mean the KIYer method =)

PostPosted: April 6th, 2010, 20:21 

lcoughey wrote:
Even though I don't recommend it, I think a couple taps with a hammer would have netted better results than this (though, it is more likely to net worse results...just don't do it!).

In light of the numerous anecdotal evidence of successful stiction resolutions using percussive maintenance, I'm wondering whether a casual, cynical observer may view that statement as FUD. In fact, I'm wondering on what evidence you can confidently claim that striking a stiction affected drive is "likely to net worse results".

Don't get me wrong. After repairing numerous head crashes in the old storage module monsters, I cringe at the thought of heads landing *anywhere* on the platters, even in their designated landing zones. Even scarier is the thought of people carrying rotating hard drives in their pockets.

That said, I've been watching various hard drive forums for many years and can't recall a single instance where a smack on the casing has gone wrong. It seems to me that the most likely outcome is complete success. In any case, in the event of failure, I suspect that most drives would be either replaced under warranty, or trashed. Maybe 1 in 100 would be sent for professional recovery, and even that drive may show no additional damage. Furthermore, if a drive were damaged by this unorthodox method, then how would you be able to discern the cause of such damage? If a head were torn off, what is to say that motor torque of itself was not enough to cause the damage?

PostPosted: April 7th, 2010, 2:08 

Quote:
You mean the KIYer method =)

:lol:

PostPosted: April 7th, 2010, 8:42 

KIY seems a variant of the FIY. Only a little more polite :D

PostPosted: April 7th, 2010, 8:55 

FIY stands for : Fix It Yourself OR .... :oops: ?

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: April 7th, 2010, 11:31 

If the heads are stuck to the surface (usually into a small dent in the surface), it is very likely that a hammer tap could cause the glider to break off the head arm and result in the heads scraping on the platter surface, creating debris and surface damage, rendering the drive unrecoverable.

fzabkar wrote:
lcoughey wrote:
Even though I don't recommend it, I think a couple taps with a hammer would have netted better results than this (though, it is more likely to net worse results...just don't do it!).

In light of the numerous anecdotal evidence of successful stiction resolutions using percussive maintenance, I'm wondering whether a casual, cynical observer may view that statement as FUD. In fact, I'm wondering on what evidence you can confidently claim that striking a stiction affected drive is "likely to net worse results".

Don't get me wrong. After repairing numerous head crashes in the old storage module monsters, I cringe at the thought of heads landing *anywhere* on the platters, even in their designated landing zones. Even scarier is the thought of people carrying rotating hard drives in their pockets.

That said, I've been watching various hard drive forums for many years and can't recall a single instance where a smack on the casing has gone wrong. It seems to me that the most likely outcome is complete success. In any case, in the event of failure, I suspect that most drives would be either replaced under warranty, or trashed. Maybe 1 in 100 would be sent for professional recovery, and even that drive may show no additional damage. Furthermore, if a drive were damaged by this unorthodox method, then how would you be able to discern the cause of such damage? If a head were torn off, what is to say that motor torque of itself was not enough to cause the damage?

PostPosted: April 7th, 2010, 13:53 

the comments are better than the video

PostPosted: April 29th, 2010, 18:21 

at least he put on his gloves... The tap might work in some cases, but I would not suggest overdoing it... One time I saw a (newbee) collegue try it with a hammer. That drive could be trashed, RMA was not accepted.

PostPosted: May 8th, 2010, 7:23 

This one of the first videos i saw on youtube for DIY hdd repair..
Once i saw the head still stuck on the platter after he 'unjammed' it i felt sick.. Even then with no experience i knew that was wrong :]

What was he thinking there? Was he planning on replacing the head stack afterwards.. or maybe its one of those how NOT to-do hdd repair...?