Switch to full style
Hard drives can be a lot of fun!
Post a reply

HDD's in space

December 5th, 2020, 22:46

Just saw a WD inside ISS.

https://youtu.be/QvTmdIhYnes (7seconds)

Wondering if heads float like 0.1nm higher...

Re: HDD's in space

December 6th, 2020, 8:59

Hmmm. See https://www.wired.com/story/the-iss-has ... ied-disks/

ONE YEAR AGO, Hewlett Packard Enterprise sent an off-the-shelf supercomputer up to the International Space Station, to see if its mass-produced hardware could survive, basically unmodified, in the harsh environment of space. Now NASA and the computer company are declaring the experiment a success—even though nearly half of its hard disks failed after getting fried by solar radiation.

November 18th, 2021, 5:28

When I fixed the SCSI HDD of Submarine, I wonder how HDD's will survive on these complex machines.

But they add additional care like temperature controllers and special HDD boxes.

November 18th, 2021, 15:42

... half of its hard disks failed after getting fried by solar radiation.

Am I right in assuming that the computer was outside the ISS :-?

The experiment was designed to test the performance of the HPE Spaceborne Computer, which is comprised of 32 separate cores that work together and can run operations 30 to 100 times faster than a standard iPhone or tablet.

If they're working in parallel, this would suggest that the super-computing power of a single core is on par with an iPhone. :-?

Of the 20 solid state disk drives, nine failed ...

So were they HDDs or SSDs? Big difference ...

April 6th, 2023, 3:28

Am I right in assuming that the computer was outside the ISS :-?

Are you assuming ISS acts as some kind of Faraday cage and that would protect from cosmic rays? Or am I reading too much into your question?

Article mentions SSD's: "Of the 20 solid state disk drives, nine failed, a rate that Fernandez calls alarming. The computer also experienced seven "bit flips".

BTW, I know Intel tests SSD's against cosmic rays.
Post a reply