All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: almost strange problem on WD5000BMVW-11AJGS4 (fblite)
PostPosted: May 26th, 2020, 4:44 

hello everybody
these weeks I am involved with a WD hard drive , the MODEL is : WD5000BMVW-11AJGS4 and the family is FBLITE.

when it was booked in , the only thing that I faced with was HSA failure , I did a head replacement and the drive was detected perfect , I checked the SA modules and backed them up using composite method and started cloning . during cloning i found that there are plenty of bad sectors which caused lots of OFF/ON and also caused a slow cloning procedure . after 3 days the process was stopped , the hard drive was not detected anymore , the head behavior was good (no head clicks) I started to load the original loader , i faced this problem (PERMANENT OVL(11) DATA UPLOADING DEVICE ERROR DETECTED: "VSC ERR OFF TOO LARGE")
then I tried with another loader and I could access the SA modules , I check them , the important ones were red , I tried to fix them , but I couldn't write anything on them , I tried to move them , unfortunately no success was achieved . the SA is full of bad sectors now and I can not repair the important modules neither to move them another place .

if you have experience on such a situation , I will be very appreciated if tell me the tips to solve the problem .

best regards

Post subject: Re: almost strange problem on WD5000BMVW-11AJGS4 (fblite)
PostPosted: May 26th, 2020, 17:33 

Power off/on switching during cloning is rarely needed, i am using it close to never. I guess your donor heads screwed up the sa due to different writing adaptives, so it is hard to repair it now but not impossible. I would not spend a lot of time with trying to repair it, there are better methods of cloning it ...
pepe

PostPosted: May 27th, 2020, 8:12 

thank you PEPE , I got that .

PostPosted: May 27th, 2020, 11:11 

pepe wrote:
Power off/on switching during cloning is rarely needed, i am using it close to never. I guess your donor heads screwed up the sa due to different writing adaptives, so it is hard to repair it now but not impossible. I would not spend a lot of time with trying to repair it, there are better methods of cloning it ...
pepe

is there any way to repair the SA of the drive ???
or doing the clone procedure ??

regards

PostPosted: June 9th, 2020, 5:30 

mojimorady wrote:
hello everybody
... during cloning i found that there are plenty of bad sectors which caused lots of OFF/ON and also caused a slow cloning procedure . after 3 days the process was stopped , the hard drive was not detected anymore ...

Looks like that you didn't checked platters parallelism against HDD body

It is pretty common with external hard drives that
- they dropped or got hit by some mechanical shock
- the spindle now is not perfectly centered and it is NOT forming anymore a perfectly 90° angle with the HDD body
- you begin to clone and you damage the platters surfaces

@ our data recovery lab (Italy) we always check with a laser tool that the platters are spinning on a horizontal and parallel plane with the HDD body

PostPosted: June 9th, 2020, 17:48 

I doubt this problem has any relation to wobbling.
Moreover, there is no perfect 90°, just good enough.
I've done quite a few WDs (and external drives in general) and it was quite rare that wobbling caused a significant problem. Of course, when it is significant we need to take care of it.

pepe