All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Inaccurate Smart data on SSD
PostPosted: June 13th, 2021, 18:55 

Hi,

This is going to sound strange but i have an SSD which i've been using since 2012 and the power on hours in the smart data doesn't make any sense:

Code:
  9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   100   100   001    Old_age   Always       -       34421

It's about 3 years but i've had it close to 10 now so i'm wondering what could cause this data to be erased or lost and how much can i trust the other values.

Any other ideas how to check? or get more info?

The only thing i can think of is i did update the FW version because of a bug they had with it, could that have erased the data?

Post subject: Re: Inaccurate Smart data on SSD
PostPosted: June 13th, 2021, 19:36 

Put the SSD to sleep for several hours and record the SMART data before and after. Maybe the firmware doesn't count the sleep time.

PostPosted: June 14th, 2021, 15:52 

fzabkar wrote:
Put the SSD to sleep for several hours and record the SMART data before and after. Maybe the firmware doesn't count the sleep time.

Is it possible to do that without disconnecting the drive?

PostPosted: June 14th, 2021, 16:00 

totalre wrote:
fzabkar wrote:

In Windows 10 ...

Start -> Power -> Sleep

PostPosted: June 14th, 2021, 17:54 

fzabkar wrote:
totalre wrote:
fzabkar wrote:

In Windows 10 ...

Start -> Power -> Sleep

Thanks but i'm actually using linux most of the time and as far as i've seen the power hours keep raising up and the rest of the data stays the same.

PostPosted: June 14th, 2021, 18:19 

Perhaps this utility (hd-idle) can work with SSDs?

http://hd-idle.sourceforge.net/

Quote:
Command line options

-a <name> Set (partial) device name of disks for subsequent idle-time parameters (-i). This parameter is optional in the sense that there's a default entry for all [SCSI] disks which are not named otherwise by using this parameter.

-i <idle_time> Idle time in seconds for the currently named disk(s) (-a <name>) or for all disks.

-l <logfile> Name of logfile (written only after a disk has spun up). Please note that this option might cause the disk which holds the logfile to spin up just because another disk had some activity. This option should not be used on systems with more than one disk except for tuning purposes. On single-disk systems, this option should not cause any additional spinups.

-t <disk> Spin-down the specified disk immediately and exit. Use only the disk name (e.g. sda) without /dev/ prefix

-d Debug mode. This will prevent hd-idle from becoming a daemon and print debugging info to stdout/stderr

-h Print brief usage information

PostPosted: June 16th, 2021, 12:54 

fzabkar wrote:
Perhaps this utility (hd-idle) can work with SSDs?

http://hd-idle.sourceforge.net/

Quote:
Command line options

-a <name> Set (partial) device name of disks for subsequent idle-time parameters (-i). This parameter is optional in the sense that there's a default entry for all [SCSI] disks which are not named otherwise by using this parameter.

-i <idle_time> Idle time in seconds for the currently named disk(s) (-a <name>) or for all disks.

-l <logfile> Name of logfile (written only after a disk has spun up). Please note that this option might cause the disk which holds the logfile to spin up just because another disk had some activity. This option should not be used on systems with more than one disk except for tuning purposes. On single-disk systems, this option should not cause any additional spinups.

-t <disk> Spin-down the specified disk immediately and exit. Use only the disk name (e.g. sda) without /dev/ prefix

-d Debug mode. This will prevent hd-idle from becoming a daemon and print debugging info to stdout/stderr

-h Print brief usage information

"hd-idle is a utility program for spinning-down external disks after a period of idle time. Since most external IDE disk enclosures don't support setting the IDE idle timer, a program like hd-idle is required to spin down idle disks automatically."

I'm sorry i don't see the connection to the topic