Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

Re: Seagate Exos 16TB ST16000NM001G

March 5th, 2024, 10:04

pepe wrote:
yeah, never mind thanking other contributors, it is normal ...

anyway, have you read my first post? did you check if pcb is native?

pepe

Touché, Pepe. Of course, thank you and all other who constantly providing help and useful informations in this forum.

The Serialnumber of the ID is correct and we didn't find any signs that the ROMs or anything else are soldered before.

March 5th, 2024, 15:19

I can edit the head map of course, just see no point, coz i see no servo errors that would suggest a head failure. Instead i see that drive tries to read SA defect list and both copies fail, so it remains in bootfw. Controller firmware is not loaded, nothing to unlock as such.
This seems to be a though one if my oppinion counts.

March 5th, 2024, 17:08

pepe wrote:btw, i would check wether pcb is native...

I second this.

March 5th, 2024, 17:26

he said he checked and it matches:
The Serialnumber of the ID is correct and we didn't find any signs that the ROMs or anything else are soldered before.

and SAP SN matches CAP too, a bit unlikely that both was changed, not impossible btw.
Hence i said it is though, not as if it wasn't though if pcb wasn't native, but in that case he had a direction to start at least.
Another possibility is that heads can read servo but not data but both, H0 and H1?
maybe He leaked, but i am not sure that would cause such thing.

pepe

March 6th, 2024, 14:07

pepe wrote:Another possibility is that heads can read servo but not data but both, H0 and H1?
pepe

Looks like the drive is not reading beyond H0
Could be dead H0.

March 6th, 2024, 15:34

I don't know if the boot firmware contains the code to support this new ATA feature set (it would be stupid if it didn't).

https://support.seagate.com/seachest/SeaChest_Combo_UserGuides.html#file24

Beginning in 2016, some Seagate nearline drives started to support the Remanufacture command set which allows a disk drive with a manageable read/write head problem to remain in service at a reduced capacity by "depopulating" the head element.

If supported by the drive, the --showPhysicalElementStatus command will display a simple table showing head number, type, health, and status.

March 6th, 2024, 18:34

bootfw only contains absolutely necessary code to load cfw, and only very few (5-6) ata commands are implemented. This one is surely not among them.
and even if it was, it would destroy the data on the unit, probably not what they want...
pepe

March 6th, 2024, 21:06

I didn't mean to imply that the drive should be altered. I was merely suggesting that the showPhysicalElementStatus command could be used to assess the heads.

I was thinking that this new feature set would be pointless if the required ATA commands lived in the SA because a bad head wouldn't be able to reach it.

March 7th, 2024, 14:42

Doomer wrote:
pepe wrote:Another possibility is that heads can read servo but not data but both, H0 and H1?
pepe

Looks like the drive is not reading beyond H0
Could be dead H0.

This was my thoughts, too.

In a similar case with similar behavior we were able to get the Drive readable after changing Head Map and and could successful recover the needed data for the customer.

Unfortunately we cannot give the drive out of our hands due to NDA. :-|

March 13th, 2024, 5:40

So you need to bring someone who can do job to your lab

March 20th, 2024, 4:48

i checked some similar drives and seen roms having the rap segment (based on flash dir) similar data.

March 20th, 2024, 16:48

attroamlo wrote:i checked some similar drives and seen roms having the rap segment (based on flash dir) similar data.

As i wrote, in some similar models for example ST16000VN008 it is possible to change headmap without problems and doin' some other things.

With this model it is not possible...

March 21st, 2024, 1:30

crashpcberlin wrote:With this model it is not possible...

Everything is possible when you know how to...

March 21st, 2024, 12:46

Masterclass wrote:
crashpcberlin wrote:With this model it is not possible...

Everything is possible when you know how to...

And you know how to?
Post a reply