All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Seagate 2TB Barracuda ST2000DM001 Questions (apm,firmware)
PostPosted: December 9th, 2015, 20:20 

Hello all. I recently (3weeks) purchased a 2tb Barricuda drive, ST2000DM001-1ER164.

I started reading about the drive when I noticed it was 'chirping' quite often, and discovered that this was the sound the drive makes when the heads are parked, a result of aggressive APM.
Using CrystalDiskInfo, I can set the APM to full performance and eliminate this annoyance (although I seem to have to do it manually each boot, even with the program set to startup&resident). I'm not sure why anyone would want to park the heads so often, on a desktop drive especially.

Reading some posts in the forum here, it sounds like there should be a newer firmware available for the drive, and I was hoping that perhaps the APM features would be tuned a little better which would eliminate the need to run software to correct for this issue.

My firmware is detected as Revision CC25. I don't necessarily know how the revisions are 'numbered' but this seems out of date compared to the other numbers I have heard mentioned for this model (CC26,CC4H). 'No newer firmware available" comes up when I search by serial number for downloads. Is this particular part number old or inferior or something? I'm wondering if I should be returning it before my 30 days is up, as I would hate to get stuck with a drive with old firmware/shorter lifespan.

Thanks for any information.

Post subject: Re: Seagate 2TB Barracuda ST2000DM001 Questions (apm,firmwar
PostPosted: December 11th, 2015, 20:53 

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, I can't afford to just throw the drive away so I guess I'll have to make the best of it and not use it for critical data.
Does disabling APM shorten the lifespan of the drive? I guess it would....

Post subject: Re: Seagate 2TB Barracuda ST2000DM001 Questions (apm,firmwar
PostPosted: December 18th, 2015, 23:13 

might be useful checking this out https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-dri ... y-q3-2015/