All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: WD5000AAVS PM2 (PUIS) ACTIVATED, UNABLE TO REVERT
PostPosted: April 16th, 2011, 18:31 

Basically a checksum is a way to confirm the integrity of ROM code. In its simplest form, the CPU adds up all the bytes and verifies that their sum is zero. The PUIS flag is written to the serial flash memory on your PCB. However, in so doing, the ROM's checksum must be recomputed. My suggestion was to compare the before-and-after contents of the ROM, thereby determining the location of the PUIS flag and the checksum bytes. One possible complication that I can foresee is if the ROM code is compressed, otherwise the task should be simple enough with inexpensive tools. In my day there was no Internet, and no expensive tool to do my thinking for me. Everything had to be done by relying on improvisation and first principles. In fact, if I could motivate myself, I'm sure I could find some freeware to read and write the flash memory via the SATA/PATA interface. That would be very useful for people with Tornado problems.

PostPosted: April 16th, 2011, 22:00 

If you know exactly which steps are necessary to remedy this situation then we are all ears. Otherwise this is just another attempt to push yourself upon the forum with dangerous suggestions that you aren't even sure will work. :shock:

PostPosted: April 17th, 2011, 7:13 

fzabkar wrote:
Basically a checksum is a way to confirm the integrity of ROM code. In its simplest form, the CPU adds up all the bytes and verifies that their sum is zero.

It works so well that checksum is not always used to verify integrity of ROM or firmware parts (= MALFUNCTION).

This "simplest form" works ONLY for a ROM filled with "00" : add up all the bytes and their sum WILL be ZERO. But I don't see the purpose for such ROM :mrgreen:
About the rest, who have worked for real hands-on Tornado and co. knows how Tornado and co. work.

@masterat0r,
if I remember well there are professional members of this forum in your area who maybe can solve quickly your issue, use the "search" function of the forum.

PostPosted: April 20th, 2011, 9:35 

As the weather is nice and I am in a good mood

Use the script and .bin file with MHDD.

I cannot support this and will not accept PM's :O)

This is a hack but it does work ( I have tested it)

PUIS OFF

Attachments:
PUIS.zip [609 Bytes]
Downloaded 1771 times

PostPosted: April 20th, 2011, 16:23 

All of a sudden a fix? Perhaps you sniffed a newbie and want to have some fun watching him how he messes up his almost working hdd...or perhaps you really are a terrific guy not ruled by mercantile judgement. Dunno that. Something tells me I'd better backup first what's already stored on it.
Thank you...I guess :?

PostPosted: April 20th, 2011, 16:42 

Thank me when your happy ;@)

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2011, 7:28 

I'm very aware there's a search button on this forum, but that did not help me much. Can't figure it out how to run scripts with MHDD. I saved your 832bytes file from the archive to a *.mba file in the BATCH folder of MHDD but it tells me it is not 1.1 version. The 'SCRIPT' command does nothing. I have the answer in front of my eyes, but I can't see the forest because of the trees. I appreciate your effort and amability. I am the problem.
Did find this also, but still there's no bulb lighting above my head :( http://www.datadonor.net/HD%20Western%20Digital/Royl%20Series/WDC%20WD5000AAVS-00ZTB0%20WD-WD-WCASU5952798.rar

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2011, 9:31 

I AM HAPPY NOW ! SORRY FOR THE CAPS BUT I REALLY AM IN 9th HEAVEN...AND BEYOND.
Sorry Guru if I doubted you. I didn't have the knowledge to apply what you gave me and you might want to disregard my last post in case it will appear. I downloaded the 4.5 version because this was the trick as other posts mentioned. I can't believe I finally have a full working device and I don't have to boot in a inconvenient manner. May the life be good to you and have the most happy, full of light Easter ever!
You are the GURU indeed :wink:
THANK YOU

PostPosted: April 24th, 2011, 14:42 

:D No problem :D And happy easter

PostPosted: April 25th, 2011, 2:30 

guru wrote:
:D No problem :D And happy easter

Kudos.

PostPosted: August 8th, 2011, 1:34 

Hi,

I posted the info below in a separate post so it would hopefully help more people.
Anyway, the posts in this thread are a bit confusing and this should help make the process a lot less frustration, especially the distinction between BATCH and Script.

This post gives some clearer instructions on how to do this using the script files provided by Guru in the following discussion
wd5000aavs-pm2-puis-activated-unable-revert-t19107-20.html
in puis.zip (also attached here for simplicity - thanks guru).
Please note, guru says
"As the weather is nice and I am in a good mood
Use the script and .bin file with MHDD.
I cannot support this and will not accept PM's :O)
This is a hack but it does work ( I have tested it)"

I used this successfully to reset drives that had been PUIS'd by my RocketRaid RAID controller.
My drives were WD10EACS 1TB WD Green drives but the original post worked on 500GB drives.
So, I am assuming it will work on most WD drives.

The problem I had was trying to run the script as a BATCH file, which is the impression the thread gives...
The main trick is to put the files from Guru in to the script sub-directory and then run using .puis.
Nobody seems to say that to run a script you should use type .scriptname once you have selected the device.
(So, I will say how to run a MHDD script here so that this post comes up in searches)

Pre-reqs:
You will need to use version 4.5 of MHDD to run the script.
A Mint Linux (or others may work) boot CD will help - to get the drive to spin up initially.
A floppy disk drive or vfd (http://sourceforge.net/projects/vfd/) and Nero (or similar) to make a boot CD.

Please check that you don't have the PUIS/PM2 jumper set on your HD! This will overide the software settings...

Method:
Insert a floppy in to your drive or make a virtual floppy using vfd.
Make a bootable floppy of MHDD - using the bootable floppy version of the MHDD download
Extract the two files from the puis.zip file in to the script directory of the MHDD.zip file on the floppy
If you are using a real floppy you can reboot to the floppy, otherwise you need to make a boot CD from the virtual floppy using Nero.

As the drives show up as blank in BIOS (if not spun up) then it is hard to identify the right drive for fixing. So, I recommend shutting down, attaching the problem drive and uplugging the sata cables from other drives for extra safety. Then boot up to your Linux Mint CD and Mint will detect the drive and using Gparted you should be able to see it as an unpartitioned drive. No need to do anything to it now. The trick is to now reboot (without powering off) and swap to the MHDD boot CD. You should notice that the drive now shows up in BIOS which is good for a start:)

Once in MHDD you can select the drive by typing in the drive number from the list.
Then hit F2 to see the drive info if you want.
Then type in .PUIS to run the script.
Then you just need to type 1 to accept and it will spin up the drive and reset the PUIS setting:)

Then shutdown (full power off computer) and turn on again to check that the drive now spins up and identifies in BIOS:)

HINT: To make life easier, I used an external sata caddy and once I new the drive number could power down the caddy down and change drives, then power up and select the drive number again and run the .puis on the next drive. Worked a treat:)

I have spent a whole day getting to the bottom of this problem and feel quite annoyed by the lack of knowledge shown by both WD and Highpoint. I hope my post helps save a lot of time for other people with the same problem. Please spread the word.

Yours,
Shafoo

NOTES:
For info on PUIS you can check the wiki at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power-up_in_standby
It seems that the highpoint controller puts the drive in to PUIS mode but can't (or won't) take them out again.
This little script does the business.
It is interesting to see all the drives that WD simply RMA's and that WD doesn't provide a solution! They (WD and Highpoint) don't seem to know it can be fixed! I would have thought they could have made an automated version of this process on a bootable .iso to allow people to quickly fix the issue!!!

More keywords for searching:
Drives not identified in BIOS
WD drives don't spin up after removal from Highpoint RAID 23xx 2300 2310
WD PUIS problem
WD PM2 problem
Reset WD PUIS
How to reset WD PUIS
How to fix staggered spin up problem with drives after highpoint Raid
Invisible drives after highpoint raid
Highpoint RAID makes drives unusable

Attachments:
File comment: Thanks guru!!!
PUIS.zip [609 Bytes]
Downloaded 701 times

PostPosted: September 15th, 2011, 15:23 

I have WDC-3200AAKS and WDC-7500AAKS drives both with PUIS enabled via HDAT2 and, of course-with no solution how to disable it. Trying everything - from HDAT2, hdparm, MHDD with PUIS script from guru and by shafoo's instructions, but always returned with message: "cannot read file OFF.BIN" from MHDD v4.5. Even booted from 3 different CD media...

I'm helpless... Drives are in perfect state...considering to buy a new one..

Anyone could help ?
Tnx

PostPosted: September 26th, 2011, 17:55 

well..
either someone is in a bad mood or the weather is bad,... :?
but...is that post alive ?
if not that be a shame, 'cos many of us WD customers are PUIS-ed all over the globe..without solution & WD proper support on this issue.. or this forum neither..

meanwhile.. until Sun will shine on us again..
will be booted via hdparm.iso's or linux live distributions.. :roll:

PostPosted: September 26th, 2011, 18:10 

@duck:

duck wrote:
is that post alive ?

Yes - don't start blaming this board for the problem you are seeing! Your reported error message from MHDD clearly tells you about the problem. :) I thought it was so obvious that it wasn't sensible to waste time replying earlier...

If it was my system reporting that error from MHDD which you are seeing, I would be investigating the location of that .bin file. Therefore I suggest that you do that. :) You can always create your own simple .bin to perform something like a read or Identify Device - then you can do testing of your procedure on another working disk, separately from any PUIS issue with that WD disk, until you have learned how to operate this MHDD functionality correctly.

You can see from this thread, that other people can use MHDD and the scripts kindly supplied earlier, so you need to calmly research your use of MHDD scripts. Good luck - I'm sure you will solve your problem!

PostPosted: September 26th, 2011, 19:37 

@Vulcan:
Quote:
"...If it was my system reporting that error from MHDD which you are seeing, I would be investigating the location of that .bin file. Therefore I suggest that you do that..."

Attachment:
Capture.jpg
Capture.jpg [ 58.68 KiB | Viewed 20559 times ]

so i investigate it...
Quote:
"....You can always create your own simple .bin to perform something like a read or Identify Device - then you can do testing of your procedure on another working disk, separately from any PUIS issue with that WD disk,..."

Ok, i'll do the testing with other scripts, but - on another working disk ?
isn't it the purpose of PUIS script that it be applayed on the PUIS-ed one HDD ?

i didn't quoted myself correctly about the error message i received from MHDD, so i will repeat it: "cannot OPEN file OFF.BIN". Excuse me about that. One may thinking that is something wrong with the CD media, or that PUIS script and .bin file are not in the SCRIPT dir, which is obvious not a case... mhdd32ver4.5.iso edited with PowerISO, edited boot information file and MHDD.ZIP inside of it with its SCRIPT dir (inserted 2 files from guru's PUIS.zip attachment).

My main dilemma about PUIS script is - is it useable for WDC WD drives, AAKS series ?
And why I cannot open .bin file with .puis script ?

And yes - I can see that other people can use MHDD and the scripts kindly supplied earlier on this forum, but a very few of them can create it..thus that implies knowledge about specified firmware versions, SA areas and options on exact hdd models.. i'm far of that...

thanks, anyway

PostPosted: September 26th, 2011, 21:08 

duck wrote:
Ok, i'll do the testing with other scripts, but - on another working disk ?
isn't it the purpose of PUIS script that it be applayed on the PUIS-ed one HDD ?

While you are troubleshooting, some (most) commands would obviously fail on a PUIS disk - hence troubleshooting the use of MHDD on a different disk may be easier for you. YMMV - your choice :)

PostPosted: December 28th, 2011, 13:22 

I wonder if he ever figured out that the BIN file was supposed to be in the same directory as mhdd.exe, like all of the rest of DOS programs ever created?!? And that there is a difference between a script and a batch file in this program? :mrgreen: I hope Seagate enjoys the license to MHDD, but I have a feeling it will forever be for internal use only.

PostPosted: January 1st, 2012, 3:30 

Hi I'm trying to get MHDD to run on my HD so I can use the script above . But anytime I select the HD I get

***CATASTROPHIC FAILURE***

<Message>
Can't initialize variables!
<End Of Message>

Any ideas?

Thanks,
BlueKalel

PostPosted: January 1st, 2012, 19:13 

Ok I got MHDD to run, Hirens doesn't work well. I had to download it and run it outside of hirens. Anyway I tried running the script as .puis and it says it worked but it never changed. I shutdown the PC then restarted and the drive never spun up. I tried reviewing the off.bin file in hexeditor and reading the script but I don't understand it, all the $ that is. I have 2 of the same drives only one of them is having the problem. Can I grab the first 100 sectors off the good one and put it on the bad one or something?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
BlueKalel

PostPosted: February 6th, 2012, 0:03 

I have successfully applied the hack provided by @guru for my WD1600JS desktop hdd.

This particular model was also affected by this issue. The BIOS could no longer spin up and detect the drive after setting PUIS ON with HDAT2. Unfortunately, I was out of warranty when doing that. HDAT2 and HDPARM were able to wake up the drive, but were unable to revert to the default setting of the drive. Besides that, the drive was perfectly functional. This hdd has been sitting on a shelf for about 1.5 years and I was about to throw it away. There is no other possible way to reset the firmware for this particular model.

I have followed the instructions as provided in here:

1. Download and create a bootable DOS iso with HDAT2 and MHDD. I used nero to make a bootable CD. Customize MHDD with the script and bin as provided by @guru.
2. Disconnect all the hdds from the PC. The CD/DVD drive was the only one left connected to the MB(I do no longer own a floppy. It's been a while :) ). Dispose the jumper from my WD1600JS. Connect the hdd(only the WD1600JS) / SATA and power cable.
3. Boot from cd/dvd.
4. Waking up the hdd using the hdat2 /w command. This command was also supposed to reset PUIS, but it doesn't work. It only manages to wake up the drive. Reseting the system by using control+alt+dell or by using the reset button.
5. Running MHDD, selecting the hdd(it was the 3rd option in my case), and executing the script with the .PUIS command. The script was executed successfully. The bin.off file, the one provided by @guru, needs to be located into the same folder as the MHDD executable file.

Now the BIOS/controller manages to detect the drive and spin it up every time after the system is powered off.

Don't forget that this is dangerous and that you could damage your hardware and that there is no warranty for this procedure. No one can be held responsible for your actions. Personally, I had nothing to loose. Good luck to others!

Many thanks, @guru!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next