In-depth technology research: finding new ways to recover data, accessing firmware, writing programs, reading bits off the platter, recovering data from dust.

Forum rules

Please do not post questions about data recovery cases here (use this forum instead). This forum is for topics on finding new ways to recover data. Accessing firmware, writing programs, reading bits off the platter, recovering data from dust...
Post a reply

Re: Mini USB to SATA (DATA) Diagram

April 22nd, 2011, 18:45

I find these drives quite frustrating. Forcing us to read a drive via the USB interface is like imaging a drive with Data Compass instead of DDI...slow, awkward and with limited control over success. The guy who came up with the idea of having the integrated USB interface should be flogged.

Re: Mini USB to SATA (DATA) Diagram

April 23rd, 2011, 2:41

Agree

Re: Mini USB to SATA (DATA) Diagram

April 29th, 2011, 4:54

Hi, I also require a dedicated usb to ide or sata adapter to work/experiment on an encrypted drive. The Salvationdata device would probably do the job but I would like to ask if anybody knows of an adapter which dosn't cost $260.

Re: Mini USB to SATA (DATA) Diagram

April 30th, 2011, 18:24

I have a solution from Salvation Data that is free to connect the new Western Digital USB drives. I asked for a better solution but it should work for now.
Attachments
How to connect WD USB interface HDD to HD Doctor.pdf
(539.32 KiB) Downloaded 1209 times

Re: Mini USB to SATA (DATA) Diagram

May 1st, 2011, 6:01

Alan2 wrote:I have a solution from Salvation Data that is free to connect the new Western Digital USB drives. I asked for a better solution but it should work for now.



by doing so, you are bypassing something = no data access

plus this solution is not from Salvation, from one Russian Team they did it.

meanwhile i noticed that there are more people are not participating on this topic but they are either know another way and for sure they know why am looking for it.

thnx for the reply man and ur time :>

Re: Mini USB to SATA (DATA) Diagram

May 1st, 2011, 20:30

einstein9 wrote:
Alan2 wrote:I have a solution from Salvation Data that is free to connect the new Western Digital USB drives. I asked for a better solution but it should work for now.



by doing so, you are bypassing something = no data access

plus this solution is not from Salvation, from one Russian Team they did it.

meanwhile i noticed that there are more people are not participating on this topic but they are either know another way and for sure they know why am looking for it.

thnx for the reply man and ur time :>

I agree. That solution, to the best of my knowledge, will only give access to the SA.

Re: Mini USB to SATA (DATA) Diagram

May 2nd, 2011, 11:20

gosh! in this life...there's too much to learn :(

Re: Mini USB to SATA (DATA) Diagram

May 2nd, 2011, 12:36

You can't adapt USB to SATA with a "pinout" any more than you can adapt either to firewire with a "pinout". The protocol is different and the physical connection is different and will require some bridge chip to convert

Re: Mini USB to SATA (DATA) Diagram

May 2nd, 2011, 12:49

drc wrote:You can't adapt USB to SATA with a "pinout" any more than you can adapt either to firewire with a "pinout". The protocol is different and the physical connection is different and will require some bridge chip to convert



that is the home work research am working on

thnx :> :wink:

Re: Mini USB to SATA (DATA) Diagram

May 2nd, 2011, 15:50

I'm tired to talking about that encrypted data (read via SATA) could be easily decrypted with external USB board (base on same inic1607E or symwave). Just need to know few important rules.

:!: Few proper experiments will give results.

Re: Mini USB to SATA (DATA) Diagram

May 3rd, 2011, 5:51

DR-Kiev wrote:I'm tired to talking about that encrypted data (read via SATA) could be easily decrypted with external USB board (base on same inic1607E or symwave). Just need to know few important rules.

:!: Few proper experiments will give results.


I know what you mean here by :idea:

and i managed to solve the WD in some cases, the reason am asking is Value Added to the tests am doing.
its just like the MAC Slogan: Think Different
and that is what am doing now, sure there are many ways/routes to Destination, i know the long way, and trying to explore the Shorter ways in my spare time (research).

Thnx for the Advice :wink:

Re: Mini USB to SATA (DATA) Diagram

May 9th, 2011, 7:20

I see on ebay.co.uk theirs a USB 3.0 to SATA cable

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

Re: Mini USB to SATA (DATA) Diagram

May 9th, 2011, 15:54

loki wrote:I see on ebay.co.uk theirs a USB 3.0 to SATA cable

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

If you look closely, it is for a SATA drive to be connected to a computer via USB. The post is looking for an adapter to connect USB drives to a SATA port.
Post a reply